Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by MetroNorthRider098

So, most/all of the diesel trains that run on the non-electrified portions of Metro North are decades-old, and it occurred to me: How much longer can these trains continue to run? I'm assuming they would never bring in new diesel trains, and we all know that electrification of the rest of the sections isn't happening anytime soon. Could we reach a point within the next 10 years or so that there is no MNR service on the non-electrified sections? Is Metro North even planning for the day when the diesel trains may not work, considering how old they are? (I'm guessing the answer is no; Metro North does not plan ahead.)
  by DutchRailnut

The Brookville's are only 6 years old, the Genesis are from 1996 onward and being overhauled as we speak.
The end door cars just went thru a mid life overhaul and are good for another 15 year plus.
the Center door cars are only approaching the midlife overhaul, so we got diesel service for years to come.
MNCR is working on replacement for Genesis but its in early development stage, MNCR has also been looking at NJT multilevels.
  by MetroNorthRider098

DutchRailnut wrote:The Brookville's are only 6 years old, the Genesis are from 1996 onward and being overhauled as we speak.
The end door cars just went thru a mid life overhaul and are good for another 15 year plus.
the Center door cars are only approaching the midlife overhaul, so we got diesel service for years to come.
MNCR is working on replacement for Genesis but its in early development stage, MNCR has also been looking at NJT multilevels.
Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm obviously not in the industry (go ahead, kick me out :-) ) -- which ones run on the Danbury line, and is the outlook good?
  by runningwithscalpels

Danbury runs both types of engines.
  by DutchRailnut

[quote="MetroNorthRider098
which ones run on the Danbury line, and is the outlook good?[/quote]

both should last till their about 30 years old, not quite the lifespan of FL-9 but then we had to keep the F units due to lack of replacement that could fit in GCT complex.
  by blockline4180

I was at Tarrytown last Saturday and noticed most, if not all of the Midday GCT- Croton Harmon that "skip stop stations" use push pull equipment..... What is the reason for this?? Are they short of M3/M7 cars???
I'm unfamiliar with the equipment manipulations up there.
  by TCurtin

The trains you're referring to operate to/from Poughkeepsie which is way past the end of electrified territory
  by RearOfSignal

TCurtin wrote:The trains you're referring to operate to/from Poughkeepsie which is way past the end of electrified territory
No they don't. The midday semi expresses that originate from Harmon are bomb trains. Once in GCT the equipment then turns for Poughkeepsie trains.
  by Erie-Lackawanna

blockline4180 wrote:I was at Tarrytown last Saturday and noticed most, if not all of the Midday GCT- Croton Harmon that "skip stop stations" use push pull equipment..... What is the reason for this?? Are they short of M3/M7 cars???
Fueling cycles.
  by blockline4180

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:I was at Tarrytown last Saturday and noticed most, if not all of the Midday GCT- Croton Harmon that "skip stop stations" use push pull equipment..... What is the reason for this?? Are they short of M3/M7 cars???
Fueling cycles.

Thank You!