• Diagonal highway crossings on Long Island?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by bellstbarn

The Elmwood Park thread on railroad.net (Metra) is very interesting, but I wonder if it has anything to teach us regarding the LIRR highway crossings. The principal cause of the multiple automobile crashes Thanksgiving Eve at Elmwood Park, Illinois, was that drivers entered the grade crossing when there was no room for them to exit the crossing. There was a traffic back-up from a distant intersection, but that is no excuse.
However, another aspect of the crossing is of interest: whereas the LIRR crosses most highways at a 90-degree angle, the Elmwood Park intersection (Grand Avenue) is about 20 degrees. Also, the ex-Milwaukee line is triple-tracked. Result: a huge area in which automobiles might stop on the tracks.
My question: Of the current grade crossings on the LIRR, which is the most diagonal? That is, which most resembles Grand Avenue, Elmwood Park, Illinois?
Thanx.

by Lirr168

I don't think that any grade crossing on the LIRR is close to being the 20 degree that Elmwood Park is, but one crossing at a significant diagonal that comes to mind is Hempstead Ave in Malverne, along the WH branch.

by LI Loco

Both crossings by the East Rockaway station on the Long Beach branch, Atlantic Ave. and Ocean Ave., are at a 45 degree angle.

by badneighbor

not too many i can think of in Suffolk... perhaps the Montauk Hwy crossing in Southampton. It seems anyplace a diagonal cross would have been is grade separated, numerous places along the Montauk and Main line through eastern suffolk.

by Notinmyneighborhood

In Suffolk County, South Country Rd in East Patchogue has a grade crossing of aproximately 40 degrees with the Montauk branch, single track. I used google earth and a on screen protrator which you can download. I wish google earth had a built in protractor.

by emfinite

Hempstead Avenue at Malverne, Patchogue (South Country Rd), and theres one at Westhampton (2nd crossing east of SK) are some that come to mind.

Joe

by LIRRNOVA55

Isnt Stewart Ave to?
cant remember. . havent been over there in awile. .

by M1 9147

Pulaski Road just east of Hunt 1 is another 45 degreed angle crossing there on the PJ Branch. And that has 3 tracks (one of them the extension siding track).

by 9C1LT1

Oyster Bay Branch has a few... Mineola, and to a lesser degree Glen St. Another note I think the Oyster Bay branch, in Mill Neck has the last railroad crossing on the LIRR in Nassau County not protected by gates, just bells and lights. This is an actual public road crossing, not an employee crossing or pedestrian crossing at a station. That road hits the tracks at an angle to, then leads to an ice skating rink, forgot the name.

-Barry

by M1 9147

Barry, that is a pedestrian crossing there just before the old Mill Neck overpass and Station. The bell however sounds continuously until the train leaves that crossing though!

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Pulaski road at hunt 1 is similar, though not as wide as the crossing in ill. It just amazes me how people can pull out on a crossing with no room to clear on the other side. THINK people geez.

by Dave Keller

Straight Path in Wyandanch appears to be almost at a 45 degree angle to the Main Line.

Dave

by Dave Keller

Also the following, but I'm not sure any more if they cross at grade:

1. Scuttle Hole Road - Bridgehampton - 45 degree crossing
2. Newtown Lane near East Hampton depot - 30 degree crossing

Dave

by Srnumber9

As weird as this sounds, Elwood Road in East Northport has a crossing that started out as a right angle and became diagonal later on.

This is the first crossing East of where the extension to Smithtown and Port Jefferson connected into the line to Northport. At first, it connected where the Northport line was pretty much North/ South, and required a sharp curve to swing Eastbound. In later years this curve was eased by relocating this section southward in a gradual curve and connecting to the Northport line where it curved northward. This lengthened the Northport Spur by roughly the width of the present day Northport High School property and also moved the Elwood Road crossing South with a different angle too.

I learned this by comparing early topographical maps to modern ones.

by bat@grumman

Stewart Ave in Bethpage is a 45 to the tracks. -pat