Railroad Forums 

• DeWitt & East Syracuse One Of The BEST Railfan Spots?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1633020  by afleetcommand

I pass thru frequently for other reasons. ALWAYS stop to grab a video, have four of five "spots" that just always have CSX activity. Kirkville, Minoa Cross Walk ( Trapper's across the street has pizza, good stuff too ), The DeWitt Rail yards from behind the Tractor Supply in East Syracuse. That actually is a site of an old train station. From the NYC days. And the "Hump" when it was a "Hump yard" is still there right down the middle of everything. SO here is an afternoon of CSX. Started with a trip, ended with pizza and some video overhead from the Minoa cross walk..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_fA2la_9_4&t=464s
 #1634223  by lvrr325

I always used to frequent CP 293. It's harder to do now, you'd have to stick to the shoulders of Willis Ave. I think, but potential is there for action on three railroads, plus when up on the bridge you can see trains coming down the other side of the lake.
 #1634462  by FarmallBob

Kirkville Rd is one of my favorites. Good parking, 3 tracks, good views both east and west. And the Kirkville detector is right there.

Another spot I like Bennetts Corners Rd in Memphis. Parking is right there in the canal trail parking lot. And can see the signals for CP300 to the east and auto 303 to the west.

And.....when my daughter lived in Canastota I could stand on her porch and look town the hill to CP270. In between trains I'd relax indoors and listening for approaching moves announced on the Kirkville and Oneida detectors.
 #1634681  by lvrr325

I was quite shocked to see the Memphis detector gone the last time I went by there.

Around the back of the shack there used to be loose cinders used to build up the pad for it and someone who will remain nameless borrowed about half a five gallon pail's worth which was sifted out and used as model railroad ballast.