Railroad Forums 

• Deval tower: End of an era...

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#136168  by doepack

Note: This was actually posted on another list, but because of the historical significance of the event, I thought it would be fitting to post it here as well...

On Metra's UPNW line, Deval was closed as a manned tower last night with the operators going to CY Tower at Clybourn. This ends an era on the former C&NW as Deval was the last manned tower outside the Chicago City limits. Approximately 100+ years of history comes to a close.

#136201  by AmtrakFan

I never got to railfan Deval with the tower sad to see it go.

#137301  by Metra 47 607

Deval is still open at the moment I heard UP Deval on my scanner last night and thismorning.

#138377  by doepack

You may have heard Deval on your scanner, but the operators are actually at CY (Clybourn) Tower now, because Deval is now controlled remotely from there. Similar to the situation at Mayfair crossing (also controlled at CY), when a train requests a lineup at Deval, the operator will still answer "Deval"...

#138386  by MikeF

Doepack's information is all correct, but I'd like to add that the tower is still standing, so it's not too late to get pictures there. If they ever decide to straighten out Northwest Highway, though, the tower will have to go.