• Derelict Stations (Former, Current, or Future Amtrak)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gokeefe

With the purchase of Michigan Central Station by Ford Motor Co. and the impending rehabilitation of the facility, the renovation of St. Paul Union Depot, Springfield Union Station, Kansas City Union Station and Cincinnati Union Terminal the list of derelict Amtrak stations, which are either currently served by Amtrak, were once served by Amtrak or may be served by Amtrak in the future seems to be running short.

When thinking about this topic I was unable to recall a single derelict station which is a candidate for a major restoration aside from Buffalo Central Terminal (which already has had millions of dollars in grant funding allocated and spent).

When thinking of "derelict" in general the term as used for this topic implies a building that is largely abandoned, unsecured or otherwise unoccupied with little if any current use. I would specify the difference between derelict and "ruin" as the line between a structure that could be restored to functional use (either previous or new occupancy) and a building the restoration of which would require a "replica" construction as opposed to reuse of existing structural elements. There are likely some current Amtrak stations which could be considered "derelict" but for which the platform alone is maintained.

This topic is specifically focused on stations with current Amtrak service or former Amtrak stations which have active tracks present that would allow for future service. Although I think discussion of "lost and gone forever" examples is worthwhile the primary intention is to increase awareness about station facilities in or near Amtrak's system the improvement of which would positively impact passengers of current and future services.
  by R36 Combine Coach

I can think of the old Oakland terminal, which still exists as a shell.
  by Ridgefielder

Just to clarify- this is really about abandoned or semi-abandoned "big city" stations like Springfield Union Station, right? Because I'm sure there are dozens of boarded-up or otherwise neglected small town stations out there, particularly on the Great Plains.
  by gokeefe

Correct, and especially stations that once had Amtrak service or may see it again in the future.

Anything without active track, or on track without any prospect of Amtrak passenger service is beyond the scope. It's still a pretty wide field given that there are active proposals in many places for new service.

It's quite interesting to me that there really aren't many restoration candidates left. Most of the remaining "city" stations have been preserved and rehabilitated.

I found the example of 16th Street Station in Oakland to be fascinating. Never heard or read of it and of course I focus primarily on New England so I probably wouldn't have read about it when it was in service as part of the Southern Pacific system.
  by ExCon90

It was a through station on the route to Sacramento and served primarily those passengers originating in Oakland and boarding trains that originated at Oakland Pier. After Oakland Pier was eliminated, trains started and ended at 16th St. It was damaged in the Loma Prieta earthquake badly enough that it had to be closed, after which it was not only derelict, but separated by a freeway from its tracks, which were relocated away from the station to make room for it. Apparently it's still standing, and if so it can be seen from Capital Corridor trains, as well as LD, across the freeway. Architecturally it resembles Sacramento and San Jose Diridon, maybe by the same architect.
  by adamj023

I’ve seen some abandoned rail stations selling for cheap outside of the USA. Not sure if the rails are of any use anymore.

As for Amtrak, not sure of any others than listed here. I do believe existing stations need to grow further to accomodate growth which may mean expansion or replacement. Historical stations are usually in depressed areas economically.
  by Roadgeek Adam

Catlettsburg (Tri-State) isn't really derelict, but it is empty inside and there's no sign of any future.

Buffalo Central Terminal is the big obvious derelict mess. Exchange Street is basically derelict (busted roof)
  by Backshophoss

Sanderson Tx on the Sunset route was a station,allowed to go to "seed" by UP,was eventually torn down,earlier SP torn out Lordsburg NM
and Benson AZ stations,Benson got a brick/glass shelter like building(with AC)as a replacement.
Phoenix Az was a joint SP/ATSF station for passengers,not too sure if UP uses the building......
The joint station(SP/ATSF) at Deming NM has been moved from the yard area and preserved as a museum now
Kingman AZ is an unstaffed,unknown if the building is in use of not
  by Tadman

Gary, Indiana. I don't see service coming back any time soon, as the city has plenty of South Shore service and their number have been shrinking over the last twenty years. But it would be cool for an alternative use - the station sits in a narrow sliver of land that fronts the US park service's Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, which is on track to become an official national park soon. It would be a great front piece for the park, holding offices, info center, concession, etc...
  by Rockingham Racer

STrRedWolf wrote:One really comes to mind: Toledo.

I really want to turn that station into a train-themed hotel, using sleeper cars for the rooms.
Like Chatanooga.
  by gokeefe

Gary Union Station definitely looks like a "derelict" to me. It has also been proposed for use in high speed service.

When is the last service date? All I have read so far are vague references to "fifty years ago".
  by Steve B

Toledo station is hardly "derelict." In addition to Amtrak and Greyhound, it houses Brightside Academy and the Toledo Metropolitan Area of Council Governments.
  by gokeefe

Agreed. If it's fully occupied and in service it's not a derelict. Is the upstairs passenger lounge in use?