Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1620222  by Cowford

A WB CP train reportedly hit a washout this am at Brassua, ME (about 18 miles west of Jackman). Three locomotives and it appears four centerbeams and a couple of wells derailed. Three-man crew is reportedly ok, but fuel ignited. I can't imagine it will be an easy job to get firefighting equipment to the site.
 #1620260  by Gilbert B Norman

Wow Mr. Cowford, in business for three days and this occurs - and all too close to Megantic - 95 miles away.

CBS Radio News had a report during their 5A hour broadcast.
 #1620348  by fromway

Looks like the Moosehead will be closed down for awhile. They have to build a road into the site to get all of the equipment in place. Three engines went into the washout. Many rail type contractors, local and statewide are being called in. Haven't seen any close up pictures of the washoul to judge what all will have to be done.
 #1620358  by markhb

The Portland Press Herald has an article this morning announcing that the derailed train had a couple of cars carrying ethanol and something horrible called pentamethylheptane.

Fair use:
The train that derailed in northern Maine on Saturday was carrying the hazardous chemical pentamethylheptane, which is highly flammable and toxic to humans, according to the railroad.

Canadian Pacific Kansas City railroad said the train was also carrying ethanol. Both chemicals are flammable, and pentamethylheptane is classified as highly flammable by the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Cleanup continued Sunday at the site, where six cars derailed and started a small forest fire. The cars containing the hazardous materials were not involved in the fire, and there were no leaks or spills, according to the railroad.
Bold and italics are mine; I believe the press wants us to focus on the bold part and disregard the italicized, or at least that's my reading.
 #1620359  by Gilbert B Norman

Grief, had there been HAZMAT involved, this incident could have been "Megantic II".

Guess the "Hulcher Vultures" will have their work cut out for them.

Also of interest, it didn't take CPKC very long to get new signage up at Jackman.
 #1620384  by Gilbert B Norman

This incident aside, which apparently will not be attributed to railroad negligence but rather to God, it sure seems that the CP-MAINE has come a long way since Eddie Burkhardt and his excuse for a railroad.

I note an SD-90 and Container traffic, albeit on the ground. What a difference from Eddie hooking up five run-down units, which by the end of the trip, four would be dead and one lame, and handling HAZMAT with a tragic, yet predictable, result.

Oh and finally Mr. NHV, within the industry, this emergency response service is not known as "Hulcher Vultures" for nothing.
 #1620390  by NHV 669

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:23 pm I note an SD-90
Two SD70ACUs, and an AC44CW. The other 70, the lead unit, was under the burning centerbeams. Apparently the crew had roughly an 18 inch hole on the conductors' side to climb out of, and one of the guys who admins the Eastern CP FB group was out chasing and was able to offer them a ride out of that mess.