• Derailent at Fresh Pond Yard 10/7/14

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by R36 Combine Coach

The Montauk Branch (including Fresh Pond) in Queens is now NYA territory. What would 168 be doing there?
  by gregorygrice

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The Montauk Branch (including Fresh Pond) in Queens is now NYA territory. What would 168 be doing there?
LIRR still uses a section of Fresh Pond Yard (I forget what they call it) for "freight" car storage. They also receive ballast and stone from Tilcon via P&W and retrieve the cars themselves. You can catch them in that yard almost everyday.

Here are some examples:
https://500px.com/photo/66927757/switch ... er_library" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eozvA9lhPC4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Backshophoss

LIRR gets all their track materials via Pond including welded rail trains,LIRR has some recently built
gons that are interchange legal,as well as some ballast hopper cars,all moves in the yard are controlled
by the NY&A Yardmaster. Believe a NY&A Pilot is needed while in the yard.
  by Crabman1130

Photo credit to Northeast Railfans.

Doesn't look like it overturned. Looks like it ran out of track and plowed some ballast.
  by DogBert

The local anti-freight nutcases (CURES) have a funny post on their FB page how a freight train full of oil barrels derailed. (They post several fear mongering articles per month about ethanol trains, none of which come to LI because there's no port for such commodities here).

That track is OOS (I believe for a clearance project), so someone misrouted them, and they literally just ran off the end of the track around that blind curve.
  by Backshophoss

Were they headed upstairs?(ie,Fremont),would explain the Haz-Mat responce,rail ends put holes in the fuel tank bottom.
OOPS! :wink:
  by DutchRailnut

rail through bottom of fuel tank would give more than just 55 gallon fuel leak, seems more like sight glass or fitting got damaged.
  by DogBert

I heard it was far less, 10 gallons, and only when fdny was emptying the tank.

I'm sure according to CURES it was 100,000 gallons of ethanol.
  by gregorygrice

It was 40 gallons from the original accident, 100 from when the tank was being emptied by Hazmat.
  by Datenail

If the track was out of service and rails removed, why was there no General Notice about this? I doubt the train crew had any knowledge that the track was missing. NYAR has exclusive control over this Branch, however, it is LIRR property. They are required to inform the LIRR of capital projects, reconfigurations and use changes. I doubt NYAR ever spoke to the LIRR about any of these changes. If the train crew was to operate back to Jamaica from LIC, more than likely they were to use the other track that is in service-the former Montauk #1.
  by DutchRailnut

General notice or not, it still violation of restricted speed rules.
  by commuterjoe

How is the locomotive re-railed- is a crane brought in, or are jacks used?
  by gregorygrice

commuterjoe wrote:How is the locomotive re-railed- is a crane brought in, or are jacks used?
FDNY reported a crane being used. LIRR uses these tracks almost everyday, I doubt they had no idea about it unless the work was done that day, which I also doubt. Also as Dutch said, looks like a restricted speed violation.