Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by SouthernRailway

I saw a train of Shoreliners today at Riverdale. 2 cars had big dents in them (see photo): one a big scrape along most of one side (the red Connecticut car), and one a big dent in the side (2 cars in front).

Question: How does a train get dented like that? Did some stray equipment at GCT or MOW equipment just bang into it? Or was it due to a derailment?

Thanks. (Sorry, I can't figure out how to rotate the picture, but you can see the dents.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by DutchRailnut

so you expect us to turn our computers upside down ??
  by 4400Washboard

DutchRailnut wrote:so you expect us to turn our computers upside down ??
No, you're supposed to click on the photo and it flips it to the correct orientation and into a new window.
SouthernRailway wrote:I saw a train of Shoreliners today at Riverdale. 2 cars had big dents in them (see photo): one a big scrape along most of one side (the red Connecticut car), and one a big dent in the side (2 cars in front).

Question: How does a train get dented like that? Did some stray equipment at GCT or MOW equipment just bang into it? Or was it due to a derailment?

Thanks. (Sorry, I can't figure out how to rotate the picture, but you can see the dents.)
My best guess to why they would have dents would be...

1. Vandalism (For the dents)
2. A random sideswipe (For the scrapes)
3. A switching accident (For the dents)
4. A drunk guy was banging on the side of the train car thinking that he was accidentally locked out of his own automobile (For the dents)
  by FL9AC

random accidents...trains hit objects on the ROW at high speeds.....not a shock. A few of the cars with more noticeable full length scrapes were involved in sideswipes...sh*t happens...
  by kitn1mcc

i know one has a dented door from a turkey
  by runningwithscalpels

Meanwhile I'm on a Danbury train that nails a turkey a few years ago, not a scuff, feather, or gut one to be found on the cab car in SoNo. FOR SHAME.
  by Rockingham Racer

tjensen wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:so you expect us to turn our computers upside down ??
No, you're supposed to click on the photo and it flips it to the correct orientation and into a new window.
SouthernRailway wrote:I saw a train of Shoreliners today at Riverdale. 2 cars had big dents in them (see photo): one a big scrape along most of one side (the red Connecticut car), and one a big dent in the side (2 cars in front).

My best guess to why they would have dents would be...

1. Vandalism (For the dents)
2. A random sideswipe (For the scrapes)
3. A switching accident (For the dents)
4. A drunk guy was banging on the side of the train car thinking that he was accidentally locked out of his own automobile (For the dents)
Thanks for that instruction of clicking on the photo, but it does nothing on my computer to put it right side up.
  by runningwithscalpels

Because those coaches aren't totally being held OOS pending investigation...
  by 4400Washboard

jackintosh11 wrote:I don't know? Maybe this?
Aren't those all those train cars held OOS with the Feds under investigation? I thought most of the cars that escaped relatively unscathed were damaged only on the vestibule ends, not the sides. Plus, from the looks of the photos, only the cars that toppled sideways would've gotten side damage. The ones that were attached to the locomotive (except for the car physically connected to the loco) just derailed and probably their sides didn't bang into wach other eliminating the possibility of any side damage on those (Unless they were damaged when being removed). The 1st car might've gotten some minor damage at the base of its frame though.
  by RearOfSignal

Everything from the Dec 1st derailment is OOS, only 225 off the property. Those dents are from previous collisions.
  by FL9AC

runningwithscalpels wrote:Meanwhile I'm on a Danbury train that nails a turkey a few years ago, not a scuff, feather, or gut one to be found on the cab car in SoNo. FOR SHAME.
Danbury is 50MPH whereas a mainline bomb train hits it a lot harder. I hit a flock of them between Pawling and Patterson a few years ago and one hit the top of the barrel door so hard it bent the top of the door inwards enough to see daylight and feathers were flying around inside the cab :wink: .
  by runningwithscalpels

I was just sad because the conductor was mock appalled: "Oh no, we killed Tommy" - and the thud that thing made was quite impressive haha