Railroad Forums 

• Demise of the Perth Amboy branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1620291  by Bracdude181

Isn’t Keasbey the location of RCs yard further down on the Bonhampton IT? My GPS says that’s what that area is called. The yard two blocks down from Home Depot.

I don’t know if Conrail would like to reopen that line. That’s why I’m asking why RC can’t lease it and then they worry about reopening it, should they want to of course.
 #1620297  by AceMacSD

They have Lower Yard in Raritan Center and used to leave the outbound cars alongside Riverside Dr. clear of the FedEx crossing with enough room for our engines to avoid activating the crossing. There is no yard there.
 #1620300  by AceMacSD

Lower Yard's in Edison, not Keasbey. Bayshore's in Keasbey. Hatco's waybills were for Edison and they were accessed from Riverside Dr. where RC were previously leaving their cars.
 #1620301  by Bracdude181

Oooooohh ok. I just called it Keasbey Yard cause my GPS says that’s Keasbey.

But yeah I wonder how that would work if they reopened that line. Maybe RC-1 would run to Perth Amboy for exchange vs the current run to Metuchen?
 #1620347  by Sir Ray

Completely random aside, I first heard of Keasbey from my peak railfanning days in the 1990s (out of college, first full time job, first auto, so time to explore where the trains (meaning freight) were (at the time - they really weren't around Long Island by then, and really isn't much around Long Island (not NYC) now - AFAIK Nassau County has no businesses which actively ship/receive rail freight directly, but that's was another topic on a different forum.
Anyway I had some mid-90s Hagstrom Atlases including Middlesex County, Used to scan the Atlases for what seemed to be likely area of rail trackage, came across Raritan Center, then a little to the east was a white rectangle marked Keasbey on Crows Mill Rd which supposedly denoted 'freight station ' (black rectangles denoted passenger stations). So I drove around the area, and while I hardly expected to find something like a Tyco Lighted freight house there, in fact there was nothing but some beat trackage sunk in the mud and a crumbling Crows Mill grade crossing. I guess these 'freight' stations just marked billing locations, or something, but not even a team track. I see that technically today there are 2 grade crossings of Crows Mill there, but nothing really uses them.

Anyway, AceMacSD just a question, are you affiliated (work for, have connections with, friends/contacts with employees) with any of the railroad companies in NJ? Just wondering, but I don't recall if you mentioned it before?