Railroad Forums 

• Delaware cabooses

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#193718  by caboose9

Hi,

I'm trying to track down information on a few Delaware captive/preserved cabooses.

Here are 2 of them:

Adamsville - ERIE/EL #?/CR #?, steel, bay window, Rt. 16, between Texaco Gas Station and Todd's Chapel;

Clayton - LV 95123/CR 18626/Chesapeake RR, steel, cupola, fire damage, gone to? One rumor has this poor hack in Gettysburg, another has it elsewhere in Pennsylvania, and a 3rd has it being scrapped on site in Clayton. The 1st 2 rumors could both be true but the last would appear to be mutually exclusive!

Any help on either of the above will be appreciated.

Thanks, Roger

#194082  by Legio X

I've seen Delaware Coast Line with an operational caboose on the run to and from SPI in Lewes, DE.

#194157  by caboose9

Legio X said, "I've seen Delaware Coast Line with an operational caboose on the run to and from SPI in Lewes, DE."

¿Composition, style, heritage, &/or road number?

Two that are said to be associated with the Delaware Coast Line are:

IC #?/GBRY 101, steel, wide vision cupola &

PRR 477123/PC/CR/DCLR19334R/DCLR 1000, steel, cupola.

Both of these are reported as parked in the Sussex County Industrial Park, Georgetown, DE, when not in use.

Roger
 #194179  by caboose9

Hi,

There are 3 cabooses reported in Felton, DE. I have questions for all 3:

B&O 903970?, steel, bay window, Paskey Farm, 320 Main St. Is this the correct number?

PRR #?/PC? #?/CR? #?, steel, streamlined cupola, CR Class N8, Paskey Farm, 320 Main St. How about the PRR, PC, &/or CR number?

CSS&SB #?, steel, bay window, Main St. This numberless nomad was for sale, so it may be gone. If so, to where?

Any help will be appreciated.

Roger
 #194381  by caboose9

Hi,

For some time steel, transfer, PC/CR 18517 caboose was used as a shed in the Conrail Yard, Harrington, DE. It has been gone for several years and the 3 reports I have received indicate that it was:

1. hauled away on a truck;

2. hauled away on a truck for scrapping; &

3. scrapped in place.

Numbers 1 and 2 are not mutually exclusive but number 3 would seem to be so with either 1 or 2.

Does anyone know for certain the fate of ol' 18517?

Thanks, Roger
 #194785  by caboose9

Hi,

There are 2 Conrail steel, bay window, cabooses reported as Frankford School Rd., Roxana, DE.

Does anyone know the street number or road numbers for these 2 lawn ornaments?

Thanks, Roger
Last edited by caboose9 on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#197683  by Legio X

The DCL hack is the former PRR/PC unit listed above. It's blue with DCL markings, and has that distinctive PRR look.

#216199  by LCarnitine

neat :)

#234821  by redinkdrying

there is an old conrail bay window in harington, de as of 4/06

#234941  by Engineer James

The Clayton site I know about. It was ex-Chesapeake RR. The train made it all the way to Clayton,DE. they have a referbished PRR N3, and a CR Steel on the site. Also, an RF&P Pullman. The 2 locomotives there are still there. Talk has been of a tourist line.
 #234993  by RailVet

When the line was cleared of rolling stock in late 1998, the privately owned PRR N3 was moved to the Walkersville Southern Railroad near Frederick, MD. The "CR Steel" was actually ex-RF&P 923, owned by the Chesapeake Railway Association (no relation to the Chesapeake Railroad), and it too moved to the WSRR, where it has been under renovation for excursion service. During my last visit to the Clayton interchange about five years ago, the derelict RF&P Pullman was gone (presumably scrapped), but the two ex-CHRR 80-ton Whitcombs remained; however, they'd been badly vandalized inside and out. Any talk of a tourist line is years out of date.

In late 2003 the two Whitcombs were reported in Railpace magazine as having been moved via TTX flatcars from Clayton, DE, to Topton, PA, by the Northeast Railroads Historical Society. A recent issue of Railpace reported that one of them had been scrapped, although elsewhere it's said it wasn't scrapped, but was instead disassembled for restoration or perhaps as a parts source for the other Whitcomb.

The old CHRR line has no future. When the previous operator's license was not renewed, the line needed tens of millions of dollars in repairs (there are numerous old trestles on the line, bad track, etc.) and vegetation has reclaimed much of the route. The state of Maryland owns the track, and below is text from an STB document describing the state's intention to dispose of the line, which may become a trail.

===========
On July 28, 2005, the Maryland Transit Administration (MTA), on behalf of the State of Maryland, filed notice on behalf of CHRR of its intent to terminate service under the modified certificate over the Clayton-Easton line.[2] On that same date, MTA filed a request for issuance of a certificate of interim trail use (CITU) under the National Trails System Act, 16 U.S.C. 1247(d), for the Clayton-Easton line. MTA submitted a statement indicating its willingness to assume financial responsibility for management of the right-of-way (ROW) as required at 49 CFR 1152.29, and acknowledged that the use of the ROW for trail purposes is subject to future reconstruction and reactivation for rail service.

In Maryland and Delaware Railroad Company–Modified Rail Certificate, Finance Docket No. 29830 (ICC served Feb. 9, 1982), Maryland and Delaware Railroad Company (M&D) was issued a modified certificate under then 49 CFR 1120A to provide service in Maryland and Delaware, including service over the Clayton-Easton line. On August 17, 2005, M&D filed notice of its intent to terminate service under a modified certificate over the Clayton-Easton line.

Because MTA’s request complies with the requirements of 49 CFR 1152.29, a CITU will be issued for the above-described line. MTA is free to negotiate an agreement during the 180-day period prescribed below. If an agreement is executed, then no further Board action is necessary. If no agreement is reached within 180 days, the line may be fully abandoned. See 49 CFR 1152.29(c)(1). Use of the ROW for trail purposes is subject to restoration for railroad purposes.

Under 49 CFR 1150.24, an operator must provide 60 days’ notice of its intent to terminate service over a line covered by a modified certificate. However, according to MTA, CHRR, the operator, has ceased operating over the Clayton-Easton line, the operating agreement between CHRR and MTA was terminated on October 31, 1998, and CHRR has subsequently forfeited its status as a corporate entity in Maryland.
 #235000  by K3CXG

On the way to Ocean City, MD last weekend, I noticed that the US50 grade crossing outside of Easton, MD on this line is paved over. Not a good sign, if a tourist operation is indeed in the cards...didn't that Chesapeake operation fold about 8-10 years ago? Bummer...
 #235003  by K3CXG

Oops, looks like my post crossed with the previous one...
 #235158  by caboose9

RailVet wrote, "PRR 477532/PC 22982/CR 20062 Class N3 caboose was moved to the Walkersville Southern Railroad near Frederick, MD. The "CR Steel" was actually RF&P 923 (2) and it too moved to the WSRR."

Hi RV,

One minor correction to the above.

The "CR steel" was a 3rd caboose, LV 95123/CR 18626, which was moved to Gettysburg, PA, and later to Middletown, PA.

To my knowledge, it's still in Middletown.

Cheers, Roger

#235159  by VaCentralRwy

Forget anything you see about equipment in Clayton, it's been gone for years. The track that ran to Easton had a few hundred feet rebuilt to serve a new biodiesel plant in Clayton. All the old Chesapeake equipment is long gone.