• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

Wow. Can’t believe it used to look like that! When were those signals shut off? I presume not long after the last through train to South Jersey?
  by RandallW

Ken W2KB wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:34 am
Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:53 pm https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/ ... grants.pdf

The six projects getting funding are within the link. Farmingdale to Freehold phase 2 is one of them.
Interesting that the grants for Fiscal Year 2023 are announced with only three months left in the fiscal year. Fiscal Year 2024 begins on July 1, 2023. I wonder if the grants are held in abeyance until it is known how much money is left, i.e., unspent, in the overall entire state budget?
I suspect its more likely the entire grant process needed to occur within a single fiscal year, so the announcement of grant funding, the submittal of grant applications, the decisions about which applications to award, and the award, all had to be done within a single fiscal year. This could easily put awards towards the end of the fiscal year. At least in the Federal government, unspent funds in one fiscal year are not known to be available to be reallocated until about the last 8 weeks of the fiscal year (early August typically). If NJ is anything like the feds, this would mean that unspent funds wouldn't be available to redistribute until May.
  by Bracdude181

Anyone know if last nights storms did any damage to the tracks? Heard a few tornadoes touched down last night…
  by planespotting

Is the siding the track with the telephone pole car? If so, I think it's just an optical illusion. If I recall correctly, the loaded centerbeam was not on the same track as the telephone pole car.
  by Bracdude181

I know, but they don’t usually leave cars for builders on the siding….

The pole car is on the team track.
  by GSC

On that pic of the Marl Road crossing, the single head signal once had a large "take siding" lamp under the signal head. I only saw it lit once, many years ago. The three-head absolute signal on the west/southbound side protecting the crossing was in operation until the crossing was removed. It was a regular thing to go through Farmingdale and see three reds displayed, occasionally a green over red-red.
  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:24 am I know, but they don’t usually leave cars for builders on the siding….

The pole car is on the team track.
Four lumber flats were interchanged on 3-29 to DRR. Only three flats fit on the flat track at Builders General, that means the flat in the picture is the one that was left over.
  by Bracdude181

Leaving Lakewood now with about 7 cars.

Locals were climbing on the train again in Lakewood.