Railroad Forums 

• decoder installation nj transit u34ch

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#689033  by JonnyRay

I bought an atlas u34ch (u33c?) in the spring of 1996. Does anyone have one of these and has anyone installed DCC in it? I think its a plug type, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking of using the MRC u23b decoder.
 #689044  by diburning

Do you mean the MRC sound decoder for the U23B? If so, I would highly discourage that. They don't last.

If the locomotive is in an Atlas red box, plain red box without any lettering on the lid, then it is plug equipped. If it is in a box that says Atlas Master Series, then it has a Atlas (Lenz) Dual Mode decoder on board. If it says Atlas Master Series Silver, then it is plug equipped. If it's in a large box and says Atlas Master Series Gold, then it has a QSI sound decoder on board.
 #689064  by deandremouse

JonnyRay wrote:What do you mean by the decoder not lasting, I have one MRC EMD diesel decoder.
MRC decoders blow way too quickly, and are a pain in the ... Well you get the idea. That's why athearn switched to sound traxx from MRC. Youd be better off if you stuck to something else. TRUST ME IVE HAD PRIOR EXPERIENCES....
With MRC- :(
without MRC- :-)
 #689227  by deandremouse

diburning wrote:Plus, the MRc sound decoders sound very fake since it's all digitally enhanced and edited. Once you hear a soundtraxx decoder, you will never go back to MRC again.
THAT too. Ever hear their decoder for ALCOs & GEs? Sounds nothing like it.
 #689264  by NYSW3000

I did 3 of my U34CHs using atlas decoders. Easy to install if you plan on not having a sound decoder. If you plan on installing the red nose headlight that is on when running light or when pushing a passenger train then you could set it up by running the red light to the rear of the decoder pad . now you have no rear lights but most of the time it will run with a passenger train
 #689266  by graftonterminalrr

Non sound decoder recommendation - NCE DA-SR.

Sound decoder - QSI Revolution or Soundtraxx Tsunami if they make one for the GE FDL-16.
 #689704  by ApproachMedium

I recommend sending it to me and letting me and my friend put a Tsunami or Loksound in it for you. Also we can add the nose light and tri color class lights to sweeten the fun. Of course, it will cost you a bit but you wont get work like this anywhere else... The Tsunami FDL-16 has a GE sound thats second to none, there is nothing like it out there. The lok is good, but were working on making our own custom soundfiles for it since the lok provided ones are good, but not good enough!

If you dont wanna go crazy and just want to drop on, forget the DA-SR!!! TCS DP-2x drops right into the 8 pin plug inside the locomotive. it may be a bit more expensive, maybe a few bucks but its got back EMF will let you pull a hell of alot more and requires no work other than taking the shell off. If you want anything more than just headlights, you might wanna check into the work my friend and I offer thru his business.

Heres some of the pictures, im sure they will make your mouth water....

#689825  by Steve F45

ant i'm definitely going to let you do my u34ch's. But i got hit hard this month with bills and huge repair to my truck. Im looking towards mid august to maybe get a u34ch fitted with the tsunami ge decoder and maybe one of my custom P40's.
 #689916  by JonnyRay

Will the soundtraxx at1000 work? It says its a plug and play decoder at a good price.
 #690028  by ApproachMedium

Yea, it will work but there is no room inside with that decoder to install the capacitor and the speaker. Id suggest installing the GN-1000 since the caps are onboard. Only problem with the GN-1000 is you need half a brain as it has to be installed upside down and backwards to work correctly. Still installing a speaker requires milling of the frame for it to fit. The Loksound goes in with NO internal weight and frame mods.
 #1134089  by mtliker

Which Loksound decoder are you speaking of? I'm interested in installing a sound decoder, but I'm not sure if I should rip out what looks like a jumper board that is already installed with the 8-pin configuration. Thanks!