Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RRChef

Does anyone know when the LIRR officially stopped using Dashing Dan as a mascot both on rolling stock and paper? was it after 1968?

by Dave Keller

I would have to say it officially stopped being their logo with MTA ownership (1968).

Then, however long it took the new administration to replace all the stationery, forms, pads, papers, envelopes, etc.

As the old "Goodfellow Gray" schemes on the cars got painted over with the MTA's "Platinum Mist", and the locomotives with the blue and yellow, Dan dashed into history, complete with briefcase, umbrella and snap-brimmed fedora.

The 2nd set of C420s arrived in the MTA Blue and Yellow in 1968, so no repainting there.

Dave Keller

by RRChef

Thank you for the reply. The reason I asked in the first place is that I've come across a bunch of schedules for the Hamptons and Montauk with an effective date of October 15, 1968 which have Dashing Dan on them. I knew the MTA took over in '68 and it just seemed odd that a schedule printed that late in the year would still have Dashing Dan and not an MTA logo.

by Clem

I believe the MTA actually took over in 1966 as the MCTA... or some such thing.

Dashing Dan was around a little after that, probably just as Dave says, until around '68. He did last after that on memo pads, some publications, etc.

When Frank Gabreski became president (maybe around 1979) he wished to resurrect Dan and had artwork drawn of Dashing Dan and an updated Dashing Dottie (without the gloves and with a shorter skirt). He even had some decals made for the M-1 cars.

But alas, that was one of his many fallings out with the MTA and the decals never saw the light of day, except in a few private collections.

Clemuel

by Dave Keller

RR Chef:

A review of my timetable archive shows the FIRST issue of a public timetable in the 2-toned white/blue MTA color scheme was effective 11/25/68. All issues prior to that were the Dashing Dan type.

Dave Keller

by RRChef

Dave,
Again , thank you for your response. So if 11/25/68 was the first MTA schedule, we can assume that 10/15/68 is one of if not the last schedule with Dashing Dan. Interesting. I was at an estate sale this past weekend and purchased a number of LIRR items including a bundle of @500 (yes 500!) of these schedules.

Clem,
Back in the late 80's, I was offered one of those new Dashing Dan emblems by a LIRR employee who had a handful of them. I thought $50 was a bit steep and didn't buy one. If hindsight.....

by Long Island 7285

Was any thing about a law suite from a woman running to make her train and slipping and falling, then sueing the MTA/LIRR for money and or medical expences and blameing dashing dan as why she fell? and like uneducted persons they ruled in favor of the moron over common sence hence makeing dashing dan history?

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Dashing Dan still appears on the Harold Protect Engines.

by Paul

While Dan made off with his glasses, umbrella and briefcase, I made off with his hottie, dashing Dotty :-D

Imagine her in fishnet stockings and thigh high black boots?
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...yummy!

I was told by a person who I worked with at L.A. Metrolink who was once "well positioned" on the LIRR that Dan was divoriced over a lawsuit, something about someone "dashing" for a departing train and ended up departing the earth as a result.

by Dave Keller

Where are those old Pullman cars with pull-down upper berths when you need them! :wink:

Destination Montauk . . . DO NOT DISTURB!

Dave Keller

by CLiner2005

For those of us who are old enough to remember - particularly during the evening commute home; watching some passengers "bail-out" as the train slowed to a stop at a low platform station. They would be jumping off, like seasoned brakemen, with briefcase in-hand. I never recall seeing anyone ever trip, stumble or fall as they hit the platform once the train got down to 10 MPH and slower - although it surely happened. As I recall these events, I never saw that bravado exercised when a train was leaving a station. (The traps and doors were left open as the train traveled between low platform stations).

by Dave Keller

I used to jump off that way all the time.

I loved the feeling of stepping off a moving train, leaning backwards slightly, so the momentum would just straighten me right up!!! Then a couple of quick steps and you were on your way.

On rare occasions I'd get to grab the grabiron just as the train began to move, however this was harder to do as the traincrew usually gave the "all clear" once they saw that everyone was on board and if you were hanging back, they would see that you either got on or got away from the train.

I managed to do it much more frequently when I worked for the road.

I remember working a parlor car and got off at Southampton to help some riders carry their luggage to their taxis. (Remember: tips!!!!)

By the time I got back to the train, the conductor was waving furiously at me to get my butt on the train and the train was moving. I was no where near the low level, surfaced platform (it was one of those LONG parlor trains where all the cars did not make the platform), and I couldn't get there in time, so I stood where I was, on the ground, and, as the steps approached me, I grabbed the grabiorn in true railroading style and stepped onto the bottom step . . . . only to find that as I was much lower than I would normally have been had I been standing on the platform, my foot missed the bottom step and all my weight was suspended from my arms on the grabirons. I pulled myself up and got onto the steps. By then the train was making a pretty good clip. I shut the trap and shut the lower half of the dutch-door and hoped nobody saw me! :wink:

Had they still had mail cranes at that time, I'd have probably been yanked off the train as I passed by! Sort of "returned mail (male?)!" :wink:

Dave Keller

by ConductorXX

Wow you were lucky you did not get hurt or worse. Thats what happened to brian Flynn a few years ago in Sayville. He did not make it

by RetiredLIRRConductor

I have seen a few people get hurt stepping off moving trains, mostly students returning to stony brook after a night out.

by LIRRNOVA55

Paul wrote:While Dan made off with his glasses, umbrella and briefcase, I made off with his hottie, dashing Dotty :-D

Imagine her in fishnet stockings and thigh high black boots?
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...yummy!

I was told by a person who I worked with at L.A. Metrolink who was once "well positioned" on the LIRR that Dan was divoriced over a lawsuit, something about someone "dashing" for a departing train and ended up departing the earth as a result.
I wonder if Dotty has a LI Italian accent . . ?.
:P