Railroad Forums 

• Danbury Railway Museum Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1062429  by andre

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Metro-Man101 wrote:I'm a volunteer with the Danbury Railway Museum.
Obviously a new volunteer.
We desperately need funding like other museums do. One way I think would be a great way to raise funds is to use some of our passenger rolling stock to run revenue passenger trains between our Museum and either the former stations in New Milford and or Brookfield.
Impossible. You have no equipment that is FRA compliant that can carry passengers outside your yard. None. Any excursions run in the past have been with Metro-North equipment only after much effort by MTA and Housatonic to come to agreement on matters of insurance liability. I wonder why we haven't seen any excursions lately?
The Housatonic Railroad Company owns all the track in that area.
Right. See how well that worked out for Berkshire Scenic Railway? They had an agreement in place with Housatonic Railroad, but they were tossed off and now Housatonic refuses to negotiate with anyone, even the state DOT, about resuming excursion service. What makes you think DRM has a chance? I see you are new here, but you should spend some time reading some of the other threads on this web site about the Housartonic Railroad and what a wonderful partner they are.
If this proves to be successful, maybe bring our train service further to Kent or Upper Litchfield County, for race day service to Lakeville's Lime Rock Park(a local raceway). That can result in Charter trips which would generate more revenue for us. Housatonic Railroad would also be able to spend less money on R.O.W. maintenance because our crews would be able to assist at a lower cost. It will result in more tourism dollars coming to our upstate communities. It'd also facilitate residents of those areas gain access to the New York City Metropolitan Area. Metro-North Railroad would also benefit because they will make a profit when the riders transfer services at Danbury Railroad Station.
What a beautiful dream! I wonder why no one at the museum has tried to do what you are suggesting? Go on, I'll wait...

Now if only there was a way to channel your youthful enthusiasm towards some good use... How are you at scraping paint?

-otto-

and here comes yet another "lets bash drm post because a certain somebody was annoyed by a former member"
 #1062430  by andre

DutchRailnut wrote:And before you utter Idea's effecting the D.R.M. discus it with a museum member, preferable a board member.
Your Idea may have already been given but rejected due to differrent causes, like insurance of several million Dollahhhs, FRA compliancy, lack of qualified crews, no operating agreement, lack of cooperation from HRRC or MNCR due to any of the above ?, cost prohibitive etc etc.

I agree on the course of action here, to get something done in any museum or non profit is to speak with a board member to gain the feedback and opinion, then form a proposal for the board to review.
 #1062575  by RRBUFF

It is amazing how much our society has changed due to regulations. I am a member of the Connecticut Valley Railroad Association, now the Railroad Museum of New England. Back in the late 1960 when we operated the old Connecticut Valley 97 , now at the Valley Railroad we ran steam trips starting at Danbury to Canaan for their Old Railroad Days. The New Haven RR was receptive to these trips,provided the equipment and personnel and made the trips enjoyable for all.
 #1062614  by DutchRailnut

well look where New Haven Railroad is now ?? nuff said !
 #1062670  by Otto Vondrak

Metro-Man101 wrote:Making fun of 18 year olds with ideas...Really?
Stop. This is a battle you will not win. Do not proceed. Fair warning.

Let's return to the discussion of the DRM's activities?

-otto-
 #1062676  by Otto Vondrak

andre wrote:...and here comes yet another "lets bash drm post because a certain somebody was annoyed by a former member"
Not from me. I only comment on facts, not emotional attachment.

-otto-
 #1062765  by andre

"Can't we all just get along?"

(copyrighted image removed by moderator)
 #1065539  by andre

Update as of 7/21/2012

CN Caboose has been REPAINTED and it looks great

The Rutland flatcars are currently under general repair and repaint as we speak and will look great and run nice once completed

Trackwork is currently progressing at a rapid pace due to the decent weather this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... JcEGx1bSiE
 #1066949  by Hudsonrail

In addition to what Andre mentioned, the scaffolding is now down at the NYC wooden caboose and work is being done on the inside, there is good progress being made on the Tonawanda Valley, our speeder is being worked on along with our Burro Crane.
 #1067205  by Otto Vondrak

andre wrote:Update as of 7/21/2012: CN Caboose has been REPAINTED and it looks great. The Rutland flatcars are currently under general repair and repaint as we speak and will look great and run nice once completed
Hudsonrail wrote:In addition to what Andre mentioned, the scaffolding is now down at the NYC wooden caboose and work is being done on the inside, there is good progress being made on the Tonawanda Valley, our speeder is being worked on along with our Burro Crane.
That is good news, indeed. I hope you'll post pictures when you can!

-otto-
 #1542689  by shadyjay

Seeing as this is the only Danbury Railway Museum thread I could find....

They finally updated their web site!!!

https://www.danburyrail.org/

Complete with a new, detailed equipment roster and a lot of information. Nice job!!!

(Ironically, the old web site was probably last updated in 2012)
 #1542706  by NaugyRR

That looks much, much better. They did an excellent job. Hopefully once it's safe to go outside again they start getting some foot traffic again. I always enjoy stopping in to walk around and chat if I'm down in the area.
 #1542712  by Jeff Smith

Indeed, a very nice upgrade to the site! Here's what I want to do: https://www.danburyrail.org/throttle

I know this has been said before, but it would be nice if they could have some kind of excursion train similar to RMNE/Naugy, perhaps on the Beacon portion, if CTDOT could obtain it from HRRC, who have no active customers on it. And yes, I know, that requires egress from the yard onto the Housy, who are storing waste cars leading up to White St, and potentially that last stretch which MNRR uses as a yard.
 #1542783  by DutchRailnut

few problems with that federal certification of both crews and equipment , and union agreements prohibiting such.