Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MR77100

That is just plain pathetic! It is amazing how some people just LOVE their cars to the point where they were rather burn $3.00/gal of gas as well as an extra hour or two, not to mention more wear and tear on the transmission, than ride the train. I am hoping to find a job in the loop so I can commute be rail in the future. Driving to work is not only expensive due to gas prices, but boring, tiring, and dangerous, (having some yuppie run you off the road with his SUV because he wants to get home on time). But that's ok, because this is America where the relentless automobile lets nothing stand in its way.

by Kablam76

metraRI wrote:It looks like additional riders on RI have had some sort of an impact, as today train #409, 4:35 departure, had 10 cars. This is the 1st 10 car train on RI in at least 7 years. In 1999, train #411 ran with 10 cars, #413 ran with 8, both are now 9 cars. 412 was leading the train, which arrived into Mokena 5 minutes late.
I was suprised to hear that 409 was running 10 a few days ago when a conductor noted it during door announcements. It was still very crowded, and the few weeks prior were even worse.

by Tadman

Time now: 6:14pm

The damn ryan just gets more and more miserable.

Today's rain isn't helping matters.

And SSUV (suburbanite SUV) Club seems to think that they can begin to venture back to the highway instead of taking Ashland or the Metra.

I'm moving to Houston. Now. I'm seriously throwing clothes in a duffel as I type (this is a laptop).

by Rockingham Racer

Good luck. Houston doesn't know the meaning of mass transit, and it's the fourth largest city in the country. Drivers can't seem to be able avoid hitting the Metro on Houston streets; sharing the road ain't a Texas thing, I guess! :P

by Tadman

While rerouting down Ashland last week, I was passing under some train tracks at about 74th and Ashland. A metra passed overhead. What line is this? It's not RI-branch is it? That's further south I think.

by metraRI

The tracks you passed under were most likely SWS, which go over Ashland Ave. RI's Branch has a grade crossing at Ashland.
Last edited by metraRI on Tue May 16, 2006 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Tadman

makes sense, thanks.

by doepack

With part 2 of the Dan Ryan reconstruction about to begin, Metra is once again advertising the use of its nearby lines as alternates, although I still think some of the SWS stations are a bit far from not only the Dan Ryan, but from feeders I-80 and I-57 as well. Also, with the recent equipment shortages, I fail to see how Metra will be able to add equipment to exisiting trains, should that become necessary, especially if this phase actually winds up bringing more riders than last year. Link to the press release below...

http://metrarail.com/Service_Advisories ... ction.html

by Tadman

Haha! Suckers! I will be sunning myself by a pool this summer in a university town, taking classes in the morning and working at a bar in the evening, with a max five minute commute involving no interstates. Glad I'm not in the middle of the sh*t show that is the Damn Ryan 2.0.

by doepack

Tadman wrote:Haha! Suckers! I will be sunning myself by a pool this summer in a university town, taking classes in the morning and working at a bar in the evening, with a max five minute commute involving no interstates. Glad I'm not in the middle of the sh*t show that is the Damn Ryan 2.0.
Well, ain't you the lucky one? Thank you very little for rubbing it in... :(