Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by dc700

I just went through an all to common accident , a person 3 or 4 rows from me put thier coffee on the floor of the train and it spilled. An OCEAN of coffee. Should MN put cup holders on the train or do they fear al lthe cups will then be left on the tain ?
  by metroduff

One more piece to clean, and yes, they'll leave more cups for the maintainers in the holders, and yes, the same idiots won't use them and you'll have the same problem anyway. End result -- more maintenance devoted to insurance against coffe spills = less maintenance of the rest of the car. How would you like that?

Why can't we just rely on people being reasonably intelligent for the most part, and the devil take the other idiots. Works for me!

by Fred G

I'd settle for a roll of paper towels somewhere in the car. I dropped a cup of coffee on a train once and a cup holder wouldn't have done anything to prevent it. And yes, I'll take my lumps as an idiot, as I sure wasn't at the top of my game that time. :(

by DutchRailnut

If you spill coffee there is usualy at least 25 or more papers on car that previous passengers left behind.
So use a paper or ask someone if their done with the whatever section to mop up your spill.
Lets be honest if their were cup holders the people would leave the cups no matter how many Garbage bins on platforms.
Same with papes, only 10% of passengers drops it in recycle containers.
about 50% is taken by passengers to cheap to buy a paper and 40% of papers are left on train for car cleaners to pick up.

by dc700

Let me explain the logic of my original post. As M7's pack us in tighter
the room for feet and bags seems to drop ( this is an observation ). People seem to have a hard enough time getting in and out of the seats I was trying to determine if one less item to hold made sense.