Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

  by Chicagopcclcars
 
The CTA announced on April 26, that they wil celebrate the 100th anniversary of "L" service to Wilmette, IL on Saturday, April 28, with a display appearance of the two historic "L" cars, 4271 and 4272. The cars are not in the best of operational condition, but they certainly won't have to move very far for this display exhibit. Here is a part of the CTA announcement:

Officials from the Chicago Transit Authority and the Village of Wilmette will celebrate the 100th anniversary of 'L' service to the North Shore community on Saturday, April 28.

CTA President Forrest Claypool, Wilmette Village President Chris Canning, and members of the Wilmette Chamber of Commerce, Wilmette Historical Museum and North Shore Community Bank will mark the 100th anniversary with a celebration at the historic Linden 'L' station, at the corner of Linden Avenue and 4th Street. The event runs from 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m........

The historic Linden station was built in 1913 and was used until the early 1990s, when a larger station was built to the east, opening in 1993. A few years later, the historic station was leased to North Shore Community Bank, which performed a careful exterior renovation. The station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated as being historic in a Memorandum of Agreement between the CTA and the State Historic Preservation Office.

Today, the Linden station is the third-busiest among the eight Evanston branch Purple Line stations, with just over 1,000 riders on an average weekday. The station saw over 319,600 passengers in 2011.

The 100th anniversary event will feature CTA's two historic train cars, which were built in 1923 by the Cincinnati Car Company for the Chicago Elevated Railways, one of CTA's predecessor companies. The cars were formally called the 4000-series but were affectionately nicknamed the "plushies" because of their luxurious interiors with green plush seats. The cars also featured steel carbodies with canvas-covered wooden roofs, while the insides were appointed with mahogany trim, electric fans, lights with glass lampshades, and porcelain handholds for standees.

The cars ran in 'L' service until 1973. Following their retirement, they were fully rehabbed, repainted in a historic livery from the 1940s, and outfitted with historic displays inside. Today, the cars make occasional appearances at special events.


Wow, an hour and a half...so don't be late.

David Harrison