Railroad Forums 

• Csx work near Walpole T station?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#999509  by MBTA1016

Leaving school today( Walpole high) I saw two csx Hi-railers one was the standard pickup truck. The second rig had some bars sticking out in front of the cab making a square, behind that was something like a pole grabber in back on a boom. I didnt see what else was in back since they were going the speed limit. What is the bigger truck called and is there track work going on somewhere nearby. They were headed towards the Walpole station, possibly coming off route1 since they passed right in front of the high school heading west. Csx conductor might know what's going on. Thanks for any info about the trucks or what they were headed to. Sorry no pics but the description might be useful in identifying the trucks. Also this the second time in two months this happened.
 #999703  by 130MM

Mbta fan wrote:Leaving school today( Walpole high) I saw two csx Hi-railers one was the standard pickup truck. The second rig had some bars sticking out in front of the cab making a square, behind that was something like a pole grabber in back on a boom. I didnt see what else was in back since they were going the speed limit. What is the bigger truck called and is there track work going on somewhere nearby. They were headed towards the Walpole station, possibly coming off route1 since they passed right in front of the high school heading west. Csx conductor might know what's going on. Thanks for any info about the trucks or what they were headed to. Sorry no pics but the description might be useful in identifying the trucks. Also this the second time in two months this happened.
The second truck was either a grapple truck or a boom truck. A grapple truck has the pole grabber, or grapple, with an open bed in the bed with side racks to hold poles, ties, cut trees, or whatever. A boom truck usually has what looks like a small dump body, and tool boxes along the bed. Sometimes thay also have hose reels that carry air hoses to run pneumatic tools. The big square in the front is a rail rack. Obviously, it is to carry one end of a replacement rail. There is also a similar bracket on the rear of the truck as well.

They were probably changing a broken rail, or chasing a Sperry truck.

DAW
 #999822  by MBTA1016

Ok i did see t-alerts for signal problems on the Franklin mbta line. Don't know if it's related, and thanks for info on the trucks. I didn't hear anything about a sperry car in the area. Thanks for all info if anyone knows anything about this.
 #1001646  by MBTA1016

CSX Conductor wrote:Sorry MBTA Fan but I left CSXT for Amtrak back in 08. Just never changed user name here.
Ok I figured that someone would have info on this, and the person that came to mind was you since you know ur csx stuff. By the way what train do you use on a regular basis.