Railroad Forums 

• CSX Track Upgrades & Infrastructure of Pan Am

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1639506  by bostontrainguy

F74265A wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:42 am So worc-Ayer will be double stack cleared by the end of the upcoming construction season! That great for the future of the Worcester main that this is proceeding
I assume it will be done by lowering the tracks. The tunnels look untouchable since there are buildings right on top of them.
 #1639511  by F74265A

No one here seems to know for sure where all the clearance issues are on the worcester route. I’m pretty sure the csx leominster secondary bridge in clinton is at least one. That bridge was raised, along with some undercutting, 35 years ago to clear covered tri level rax. Tunnels in worcester and some through truss bridges have been mentioned as possible issues but i have never seen a definitive list of ds clearance restrictions worc- hill yard
Query- is the main st bridge in ayer just past east wye ds height? If no, presumably the ds trains will not use the mbta fitchburg main for headroom
 #1641194  by neman2

Seen on yesterday's Chester railcam M426 looked like it had 10 more gondolas of ties plus 3 cars of what looks like 78 foot rail.
A You Tube video of the train through Clinton from Northeast Railway, rail at 1:10, gondolas at 1:34.-----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPyWabIooyM&t=3s

Off topic but related D1 told M426 when they made their pickup at Ayer to ensure they were under 10,000 ft. M426 was by Littleton detector with no defects and 652 axles.
 #1641196  by F74265A

Some of the videos from the keag interchange have shown similar long flats of rails moving north onto thd irving railroads

The first or second tie on the east end of the bridge looks like it is already in bad shape
 #1641213  by CPF66

Heading to MNR. When MNR took over for MMA they welded the existing 100 LBS stick rail from 39 foot lengths to 78 foot lengths, which helped to decrease operational costs, however most of that rail is worn out now. They replaced most of the curves with 115 LBS stick over the last few work seasons and will be working to replace the rest of the main line rail from Squapan-Madawaska which hasn't been done yet over the next few years. Eventually the new stick rail will be welded into CWR after it was installed. They are also relaying the Houlton, Presque Isle, and part of the Fort Fairfield Subs as part of that work, with the serviceable 100 LBS rail being sent to the Van Buren Sub to get that back to 25. The centerbeams with ties are going to the same project. I believe work on the Millinocket-Oakfield rail replacement will take place next year, since that section is still 25. They will also be getting the rest of the Oakfield-Squapan section upgraded with new rail next year. MMA did some CWR from around Oakfield to Howe Brook and MNR replaced rail on the curves last summer/fall. Most of that section is 25 except for Saint Croix and Misardis which require switch panel replacements.
 #1641311  by CPF66

I forgot to add in my last post, CSX will be redoing CWR Pan Am installed around Oakland/Belgrade and eventually the 115 LBS CWR Guilford installed between Bangor and Lincoln. That is likely what will be used at Rigby.
 #1641336  by neman2

The rail train is tied down at Westford with MEC 7643 east tied on. As can be seen in the attached photos the rail cars are set up to drop rail from east to west. I assume the next M426 will pick this up and take it to Maine.

Rail train 1A.jpg
Rail train 1A.jpg (3.75 MiB) Viewed 586 times
Rail train 032824 A.jpg
Rail train 032824 A.jpg (3.46 MiB) Viewed 586 times
Attachments:
Rail train 032824.jpg
Rail train 032824.jpg (4.41 MiB) Viewed 586 times