Railroad Forums 

• CSX SIGNAL TEST ???'S

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#131763  by DBS54

I'm going to AMDG in 2 weeks to train for a conductor job for the Birmingham,AL. location. I've heard some info about the signal test. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any info on this test like how they give it to you (do they have the signals on there and then you have to write the name and indication of them?). Any thing would help and thanks for the info. I was told to study the Seaboard Signals and by reading about them there are 24 of them but on the amdg website there is actually more than 24.
Thanks
 #131802  by Badger27

Yep, the test sheet is exactly the same as the CSX signals book, except that the name and indication are missing...these you have to fill in.

The best thing to do is to call the school you will be going to and to speak directly with an instructor there so that they can tell you exactly which set of signals to study.
I did this and was able to study the signals for two weeks before I went to school, passing the signals test and getting it out of the way on the third day there. It makes a HUGE difference to the rest of the course getting those damn signals over and done with early. Leaves so much more time to study the rest of the stuff and there is a heap of stuff to study without having to worry about those signals.

So with two weeks before you go, study those signals as much as you can. I found the best way to memorize them was to write the indications down over and over and over again by hand. Yeah, it's boring and a pain in the butt, but it works. Constant repetition makes you remember them. And you must get them down word for word to pass.

Good luck!