• CSX Service Bulletin - Anacostia Bridge Temporarily O.O.S.

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by L'mont

Please be advised that CSX Transportation is re-routing north- and south-bound traffic around the Anacostia Bridge in the Washington, D.C. area.

The re-routing is necessary due to issues with the bridge structure that were identified as part of the company's routine inspection and maintenance program. In addition to re-routing, we are working to restore limited service on the bridge itself as the longer-term repairs are made.

The re-routing process has begun and we will provide updates as the plans unfold. In the meantime, delays can be expected.

We are working to restore normal service as soon as possible. Our primary concern is the structural integrity and safe operation of the bridge. At this time, we anticipate that the structural repairs will take up to 30 days.

by District D RTC

OK, please help me understand - which bridge is this - is this north or south of alexandria - and do amtrak and vre use it - or is it north of where the freight line and the pax line split.....

--JSW
  by amtrakhogger

The bridge in question in not use by Amtrak/VRE. This bridge is
located northeast of WUS on the old PRR/CR Landover Freight Line.
CSX trains coming off the Capital Sub. at Hyattsville en-route to
the RF&P sub use this bridge. It is CSX's primary north-south corridor.

by octr202

Does anyone know how they're detouring? If I'm remembering the track maps of the area correctly, the only detour options are either NS through Hagarstown, or a "long way around."

by blippo

The 400 Series trains that normally terminate or orginate in Cumberland (Q400-Q401, Q411-Q414, Q415-Q416) are being run as "R" Trains and are being detoured via Richmond- Fulton, Clifon Forge, Huntington, Russell, Cincinnati and Columbus

K277-K276-Q438-Q439 trains are going the same way to Columbus, but are continuing north to Cleveland , then east, via Buffalo.

K650-k651 trains are running via Atlanta, Cincinnati and Crestline, Oh., then east to Cumberland, Baltimore , etc.

I copied this information from another source

by NS212

About 6-7 CSX trains have been rerouted thru Hagerstown and down the B-Line and Valley Line on NS. They are being numbered as 100, 101, 102, 104, 105, and 106, not sure if there is a 103. 100 and 101 are UPS intermodals, 105 and 106 are manifests I believe to be Q415/Q416. Haven't heard a 102 or 104 yet but they are planned or were planned out of Shenandoah, VA to head north up the Hagerstown District.

Kevin
  by amtrakhogger

CSX is looking at running some trains thru WUS via 1st St. Tunnel
during the late night hours. No confirmation on if any will run at all.
My guess is they will need Amtrak pilots from CP Virginia to WUS.

by NS212

I heard Amtrak was going to allow CSX reroutes under strict circumstances. All 4 axle power and trains can't be longer than 2600 ft. Also they are allowed only a very short window to get thru.

Kevin

by octr202

How are the vertical clearances in the 1st St. Tunnel? They used to run Superliners through there, I believe...

Realized I knew the answer...once I remembered that VRE runs bi-levels and gallery cars thru there.

*Never mind!* :-D

by TheChessieCatLives

I knew that something was up this mornin when I saw a lone engine, #701, pulling a second westbound freight through here. This rerouting of service will be until further notice? Correct?

by NS212

Correct, they are saying it could take up to 30 days to repair the bridge completely. I think they will probably be able to get some limited service back over the bridge sometime or another before repairs are fully completed.

Kevin

by TheChessieCatLives

Any of you guys know if the Q-130, 137, & 138 will be affected by this announcement? If so, which way will they be rerouted?

by CB&Q Fan

I spent the day along the tracks between Baltimore and Washington DC to day. The only trains on tracks 1 or 2 were 70 empty auto racks lead by a pair of SD40-2's and a 12 car rock runner lead by 2 SD50's. Niether train crosses the Anacostia Bridge. All other traffic was coal trains on the old main line through St Denis. I was told by a CSX employee that most of the traffic is being routed through Virginia and up to Hagerstown. A few are also going west (Atlanta, Columbus) up to upstate New York then across the river route (???), not positive of the proper name.

Add to that, CSX put 3 loaded coal cars on the ground and wiped out power to the Northeast Corridor last night. MARC cancelled all it's trains on the line today and Amtrak was not running all morning and was backed up most of the day. I can't imagine Amtrak to be willing to allow freight through Washingtons Union Station. Maybe CSX should have treated Amtrak a bit better and not as the red headed step child with all the delays.

by NS212

They actually had a test run with Q171 last nite. Heard they were taking too long getting off and Amtrak became frustrated with them. Hmm there are several train rerouted up the NS to and from Hagerstown, two intermodals I think would be Q171 as 101 and I think Q174 as 106 now. Not too sure. Then there is an NS 105 which is a Q400 series train and a 108 which is Q416. Not sure of any more. These trains are rerouted all over the system both on NS and CSX.

Kevin

by NS212

Just read on the CSX website under curfews that the estimated date to reopen the bridge is Dec. 8th.

Kevin