Railroad Forums 

• CSX's training in Atlanta.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#103986  by JasonP

I finished my class last week with a 96.0 (Honor Student. W00p!) and I arrived in Atlanta Monday night.

My flight was delayed Monday, so I missed orientation, but for the most part, you'll just do a brief little introduction and fill out some paperwork.

On your second day, you'll be in a classroom environment for a few hours, and then the whole class will go out into the field to complete your competancies (hanging, crossing over, setting brakes, moving a switch, etc.) and that will take up the rest of the time.

Third day has more classroom training. You'll be in the room for roughly 2 hours and then go out to the field. And then it's showtime! For the first time, you'll be working airhoses, coupling and uncoupling cars and locomotives, talking on the radio, and all sorts of fun things. It really is a fun day. You, the instructor, and your classmates will all have fun laughing at each other.

Fourth day is boring. You're in the classroom pretty much all day. There's a small tour outside looking at some mechanical components and some wheels with defects, and then you go inside for the rest of the time for a presentation on air brake law and payroll.

Fifth day is another class day. You've a presentation on safety leadership and on board work orders.

As far as the classroom material, some of it really is boring, as it's just a rehash of all the other things you've went over in the previous 5 weeks. Some of the presentations are brand new, and despite the torture of sitting in a classroom for hours at a time, all of the instructors do a great job of making the whole process entertaining.

All of the instructors down here are very relaxed and funny guys. If your classes were anything like mine, the 5-week instructors told horror stories about how strict and unforgiving things were in Atlanta. It's simply not true. You'll be expected to perform, but the expectations aren't unreal. You're new and you're going to make mistakes.

As far as the accomodations, I'd be sure to bring extra cash to buy food. CSX has a deal with the hotel's restaurant for a special reduced price menu, but to be honest, the food isn't all that great and the variety sucks. There are a good number of restaurants in the area, most being within a 1/2 mile walk, so I'd recomment lacing up your boots and hitting the pavement, rather than spending everything on a taxi.

Also.. there's a lady who comes outside of the training facility a few times a week with CSX embroidered hats, shirts, and bags. The hats and shirts both run $5 and come in a variety of colors. I'd recommend bringing a few spare dollars along to pick one up. I've picked up a hat and a shirt so far, and they're great. As far as the bags, I'm not sure of the cost, but you can get CSX and your full name embroided on them, and they look rather spiffy.

Honestly though, guys, don't stress about it. Everyone down here gets along fine, all of the instructors are knowledgable, caring, and down to Earth. It's not an intense training session designed to rattle your brain. Try to enjoy yourself.

I'll do my best to update this thread day to day with what we're doing. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

#104031  by BoRhyne

thats great to hear. I just finished my second week of school in Waycross Ga. and horror stories are all we hear about. I have a 98.5 average so far and i'm hoping i can continue doing well. What is the "honors" thing i keep hearing about? I know you have to have a 95 to get it but what does it do for you in the real world? Thanks for the great update.

#104051  by JasonP

BoRhyne wrote: I know you have to have a 95 to get it but what does it do for you in the real world?
I've heard that when it comes to promotions and such, whoever is doing the interview will have access to your record and having the Honor Student seal on there certainly couldn't hurt.

Since I'm looking to get into train dispatching ASAP, I hope this is true, but like a lot of the stuff you've probably heard, I'd be willing to lay down money it's not.

Right now, I'm just treating like a bragging right.

#104079  by BoRhyne

Where are you going to work? I also heard that the second week at Atlanta was for remote control training. Is this true?

#104202  by CSX Conductor

You can get all the CSXT stuff from a catalog too. :wink:

#104231  by JasonP

BoRhyne wrote:Where are you going to work? I also heard that the second week at Atlanta was for remote control training. Is this true?
I'm going to Clifton Forge VA (5 miles right of Nowhere)

Some people do the RC training and some do not. I'm honestly not sure how they decide who does what, but you'll know within the first day or two what you're doing.

#104232  by JasonP

CSX Conductor wrote:You can get all the CSXT stuff from a catalog too. :wink:
Both hats and t-shirts were $5. Can they beat that?

#105102  by slchub

Good Luck, Gentleman. Sometimes I wish I'd had the balls to pay for the training, and maybe be working in the yard there with you. I used to live in Smyrna, off of Atlanta Rd. The commute would be great. But, I'll make the best of it and keep on it out here in Ogden on the UP.

All the best, have fun, and be safe.
 #105778  by JasonP

Hey guys, sorry about the lack of updating. I, and everyone else in my class has developed a cold, so I've been feeling on the down and outs.

I'll pick up right where I left off:

Day Six:

You'll be split into two groups and working in the field all day. Today, you'll be covering some actual 'work' in the field. You'll get to couple locomotives to cars, couple cuts of cars to others, riding cars over switches, lining switches for movement, etc.

Another thing that you should do today, should time permit, is a Class I brake test. Your group will be broken down even further, and you'll be assigned a block of three or so cars to do an air brake test on. This includes inspection, attaching and arming the EOT, and every other little thing included in the test.

The instructors will mess with things... uncoupling air hoses, turning retainer valves to the wrong position, taking gaskets out of air hoses, so try to be sharp during your inspection.

Day Seven:
Rest Day!

Day Eight/Nine:
I'm including these two days into one because of the way they work. You'll understand, when you read the rest of the description.

The class will be split into two groups. One group will be assigned On-Board Work Orders and the other will be handed a switchlist. The group with the switchlist will go outside to tracks 1-4, build a train, do a brake test, and simulate departing the yard. Then you'll come into a few simulated industries and do some pulling and spotting.

If you're switching, you may seem overwhelmed at first, but don't fret. If you're confused, just ask questions. If you still don't get it, just try to pay attention to what's going on. When you see the movements in action, you'll start to understand what's going on much better.

The group assigned to On-Board Work Orders will have a pretty lax/boring day. You get hands-on experience with the OBWO devices, and the day will pretty much be evenly split between inside and out. When you're outside, you'll be observing movements of the switching simulation, and you'll fill out the OBWO as the switching progresses. When everything's finished, you'll take the device inside and dock it up.

On day nine, you'll switch positions. The group going OBWO will do the switching and switching will do the OBWO.

Day Ten:

WORST DAY EVER.

You guys in class have had to do a few POD courses right? Probably T&E Hours of Service and Air Brake Law.

You all remember how much fun those were? Well, rev up your engines, here come some more!

You spent all day inside doing POD work. It's horrible and mind-numbing. There is no other way to put it. Prepare for an all day long borefest. Unfortunately, you have to have all of the PODS completed before you can finally mark up, so try to knock them out, no matter how painful.

And that's about as far as I've gotten. Only two days left for me, and I think both are outside doing some basic switching and other train movement related type deals.

You'll have an interview with the 'principal' of the REDI center sometime during your second week. Nothing to stress about, a majority of the questions are typical canned questions. One thing you will need to know is the core values of CSX. Try to remember them with the acronym FRIPS.

F - Fact-Based.
R - Right Results, Right Way.
I - It Starts With The Customer.
P - People Make The Difference.
S - Safety Is A Way Of Life.

If you guys are ordering lunch at the REDI place, I'd avoid the Chinese place they have in the folder of menus. Our class has pissed them off mightily, and I'd fear eating anything from there now. The Italian place listed, on the other hand, is great. I'd suggest the chicken parmisgnan(sp?) sub. It's fantastic.

With two more days left, I can't say that my experience down here has been anything other than superb. As I said in the previous post, the instructors are very knowledgable in their fields and want to see you succeed in the company.

Again, anyone with questions, feel free to post them here, shoot an email, or instant message me.

#106410  by sammy

I have to ask for me and others who may not know, what does the POD stand for, in POD courses? Thanks.

#106414  by sammy

Also, back when you took the tests at the recruiting/testing session, how long did it take for you to find out if you passed. I took the tests on Feb. 23, and havent herd any thing yet. I tried calling a few times but always get the vioce-mail. And they havent retured my calls. Im beginning to get worried!! :(

#106419  by PChap

Sammy,

When I tested I was told that day that I was accepted pending approval of my psych exam, and that they would call me when they had a class scheduled. That was in August and they called me in Dec., started class Jan 17.

The POD is like a laptop comp that looks almost like an etch a sketch. It's used to complete and transmit work orders. Pretty nifty tool. The courses train you how to operate it. It can be aggravating on the job.

#106473  by dgf6831

I also was told at the hiring session that I was going to 'Choo-Choo U' pending the psych test.
But then again, I was the only one at the hiring session and they are apparently having trouble getting people for the northern New Jersey area so I guess I was in luck. I start school in Albany on Monday.

My advice would be to phone them and if that doesn't work, just keep going to the hiring sessions until you are successful.
Don't be shy, if it's what you really want to do just go for it.

#106579  by sammy

The session that I attended had three diff. times that day. One at 2:00, one at 4:30, and then one at 7:00. I got there at 1:00 and was the first one in. There wear about fifteen at the 2:00 session. The CSX rep said that they would let us know if we passed in a few days. Well its been more than a few now. This is making me nuts!! :wink:

#106742  by CSX Conductor

PChap wrote:The POD is like a laptop comp that looks almost like an etch a sketch. It's used to complete and transmit work orders. Pretty nifty tool.
Wrong in 2 ways PChap.

First off, "the POD" is an ordinary computer which is connected to the CSX network for the purpose of empoyees taking annual rules and safety exams and other tests on-line as opposed to having class-room settings.

Secondly, the OBWORS (The etch-a-sketch type computer) is used for reporting work-order activity. On-Board Work Order Reporting is a good idea for "real-time" activity reporting, but since you are not supposed to use it while on a moving train......it will cause delays, or you just do all the work upon returning to yur terminal....which defeats the purpose.

The biggest problem with the OBWRS is that it will be used to cut jobs in the Customer Service group. :(

(The same is going to happen by implementing the automated calling system for T&E employees..........crew callers' positions will be wiped-out)