• CSX REDI Center

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by COEN77

jmox

Good advise for those scheduled to go to REDI. It was funny to read all those post about what games they'll bring to have fun back at the hotel. This isn't summer camp this is reality. The real training begins when you head back home. Work ethics is part of the course. With FRA emergency order #26 in effect I'm sure the instructors will be vigalent on cell phone use who abuses it. Even those who are marked up and working take it as a joke then when someones ends up getting busted they'll cry the loudest on how unfair it is. The constint change out here is staggering rules change at the railroads whine someone gets hurt a new rule, someone screws up a new rule, a new rule just because they can create one. It's a never ending cycle.
  by changed

The REDI center is a pc of cake... I ended up with a 94 avg and only test I studied for was the signals test. I took my xbox played it some if I wasn't out checking out Atl. I took DVDS watched those while I studied signals if nothing else was on TV!! The real learning is when you get back to on the job thats when you pay extra close attention to whats going on. But while in class pay attention and the tests should be very easy!! Everybody passed in our class the ones that fail out are usually dumbassses that basically don't want the job. You do need to pass everything you can and keep your avg high but ALOT of the stuff they teach you depending on where you work you will NEVER use not that you will be breaking rules but it doesn't apply to you! Some of it you may use one time in your hopefully only 30yr career on the RR and odds are you will have to look in your rule book 15yrs later to see what the rule is on how to do it!! So don't stress out on what some of the people on here tell you the school is simple... Enjoy your weekends down there if your on 3-11 enojoy your 1130 until 4am ( when the bars close) then get up study ya signals and you will have it made!
  by COEN77

Did you forget something? You had already worked for the NS before changing to CSX.
  by bpat

I got my hiring packet via e-mail today for the conductor class on the 16th ,How is the hotel?is there anywhere to work-out at?I find working out a great stress release but im sure ill get over it if there is not one.
  by changed

Oh yea I forgot that part coen lol... nah don't take the school to lightly but don't go down there all stressed out.. it is fairly easy and for the most part if you pay attention in class your study time can be limited..

If your staying at the extended stay I would strongly recomend driving down you get to claim all the miles you drive down and back. I made about $400 drivng gas is cheaper now so you could probably make more then that depending on where you are driving from. Not sure if it just went unnoticed or what but it says they will pay you up to $300 or something on gas I got the full amount for the miles I drove!! .. there is one place to eat thats within walking distance and its going to get you for about $10 and up a meal! The closest grocery store is about 5 miles away, the closest bar about 4 miles, there are several golds gym within 5 to 10 miles away if you have a membership you can get a travel pass and go..
  by photoman

I cant speak for signal worker classes but I know that in conductor classes, if your average drops below 85% at midterm or fail the final tests which drops your average below the 85%, they send you home without a job. You will hear people say that the instructors will take you to a testing room and oversee you passing a test if your having trouble because they have too much money invested in you.. It dont happen. A guy in our class had that attitude. He flunked signals and he flunked his operating rules test all on the last day. Graduation day was his last chance to pass signals and he didnt pass. He got sent home at lunch time on our day to graduate. He believed the test would be answered for him. So he spent the majority of his time goofing off, not studying, and not taking the redi center seriously and he got kicked out. So my point is, that if you take your training seriously, and you understand that the redi center will boot you for bad grades, you shouldnt have a problem.
  by changed

photoman wrote:I cant speak for signal worker classes but I know that in conductor classes, if your average drops below 85% at midterm or fail the final tests which drops your average below the 85%, they send you home without a job. You will hear people say that the instructors will take you to a testing room and oversee you passing a test if your having trouble because they have too much money invested in you.. It dont happen. A guy in our class had that attitude. He flunked signals and he flunked his operating rules test all on the last day. Graduation day was his last chance to pass signals and he didnt pass. He got sent home at lunch time on our day to graduate. He believed the test would be answered for him. So he spent the majority of his time goofing off, not studying, and not taking the redi center seriously and he got kicked out. So my point is, that if you take your training seriously, and you understand that the redi center will boot you for bad grades, you shouldnt have a problem.

I seen them help a couple people pass... I am sure the part where you said a guy in our class had that attitude... attutude is the reason they did not help him if they see you are trying hard and you just can't take tests good they will help you out.. if you are just a flat out dumbass and can't pass any tests what so ever then you need to get the boot!
  by TNCSX

I will be going down to REDI on Nov 9. Just curious as to when you will get the mileage reimbursement. Do you get it at the end of the training?
  by changed

You will get it on your 1st paycheck. You should get you paycheck in 3 to 4 weeks depends on where you start in the pay half!
  by Jon Doe

Hey I gotta bring some intertainment. Im not gonna study from the time I get out of class till the time I go to bed. Trust me though, I will study ALOT though. I have no intentions on failing this course. This is an oppurtunity Im NOT gonna let slip past me because of stupid mistakes. If I did happen to fail, just know I failed trying my best though. Im flying down, so hopefully some ppl will wonna pitch in and rent a car or someone wants to make some money to drive to the store. Either way Im sure something will be figured out. All Im waiting on now is my hotel and flight info. Lets all just make the best of it down there and like someone else said. Lets not stress about it, just study, follow directions and keep positive about it.
  by COEN77

There's nothing wrong with bringing entertainment. Just take it serious once your in Atlanta. Those coming out of the Redi center can learn a lot, not that most of it really matters once working the job. Which those who make it will find that fact out. It's a cram course teaching the rules ect...in what was once learned on the job as a brakemen over the course of 2-3 years. It still doesn't teach you the job itself. That'll happen when you go back to your terminals for OJT. There is a lot more than changing a nuckle or hanging on the side of a car which nobody really does at least not the way they test you. One important fact is no one training once you get out of Redi cares about what the instructors taught you. You'll have some good people and some not so good training you on the job try to formulate a little from each person wether it's an example of the right way or wrong way. Just don't try to correct the person that's bad news. Ask questions there are no wrong ones. Engineers are also there to seek answers. At the end of the day everyone goes home intact meaning both arms, legs ect...work safely it only takes a split second for disaster.
  by scooterz66

Don't worry about it. They won't let you drive there. They will provide a shuttle from the hotel. Parking at the REDI is very limited.
  by COEN77

Please don't be late. Heck, in 1977 I was late for my first day got stuck by a train on the otherside of the tracks was the building I needed to go. Got my arse chewed out told there are always other routes to make it on time.