Railroad Forums 

• CSX REDI Center Prep- Study Topics?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1253970  by mdr406

I suppose this question is for CSX employees, or former employees.

I have a few weeks until I leave for the CSX REDI Center in Atlanta, Georgia for 6 weeks of training. What would you recommend that employees should study before arriving, if anything? I have been trying to study a little bit of general railroad and CSX history, along with general locomotive knowledge in between working at my current full-time job and College.

Does the REDI Center focus on general, broad subjects such as safety and general railroading skills, or is it job specific? What format are the tests presented? What was the most difficult areas to learn and/or study?

Do you get some kind of award or pretty certificate to frame and hang up when you "graduate?"
 #1254600  by railman616

Study the signal system rules. If you search through this forum you will find several postings related to what signal system you need to study and where to find study guides. If you will be working in the have former Conrail territory you will have to learn the Conrail signal system once you get to your home terminal. The REDI center teaches you the rules. Your OJT time will teach you the skills of being a conductor. Studying general railroad items and CSX history will not help you for the training at the REDI center as they will give you all the information you need.
 #1254723  by peterbilt22

railman616 wrote:Study the signal system rules. If you search through this forum you will find several postings related to what signal system you need to study and where to find study guides. If you will be working in the have former Conrail territory you will have to learn the Conrail signal system once you get to your home terminal. The REDI center teaches you the rules. Your OJT time will teach you the skills of being a conductor. Studying general railroad items and CSX history will not help you for the training at the REDI center as they will give you all the information you need.
He is goin locomotive electrician