Railroad Forums 

• CSX Freight Into Boston Now

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1114115  by CSX Conductor

fogg1703 wrote:Although they would still need a Boston local for the freezer at Widett and Houghton Chemical unless they are persuaded.
Houghton Chemical and Ameri-Cold Storage in Boston have NOTHING to do with the Charles River bridge being closed.

Houghton is, and always has been, serviced by the Beacon Park switcher since the siding is in the yard.

Ameri-Cold is serviced by a local out of Readville, and their car loads are very sporatic. I have also heard runors that Ameri-Cold is leaving there and the building will be leveled....but that's just rumor so far.
 #1114181  by Knucklehead

CSX Conductor wrote:
Mbta fan wrote:What about running the local from Framingham like the other eastern mass locals. Except the ones based in readville.
Huh?!? They can't get to the NEP!

The sensible thing to do would be for CSXT to have a GP40-2 put on the MBCR/Amtrak hospital train and get it over to Chelsea from BET....then just have the crew report in Chelsea and have the cars rerouted PAR to Boston/Chelsea.
sensible + CSXT (in same sentence) = oxymoron
 #1114213  by Dick H

The NEP and scrap cars are being handled on SEPO out of Worcester.
This train usually is a through job between Ayer and Portland, but it
now stops at Lawrence and sets off the Everett cars there. PAR LA-2
takes the cars to Everett, along with their own work. Photo below
shows the LA-2 job with two units waiting in Somerville to head to
Everett. Reportedly, PAR leaves one unit at Everett to do the work
there and the other unit continues east to do PAR Salem work, etc.
Thanks to Dave Hutchinson for the photo.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... age=4&key=
 #1118551  by fogg1703

A drive down Rt 18 in Lakeville today revealed a new Warren Trask Lumber sign at the former Cameron Ashley property. The siding is visible from the Rt 18 OHB looking west.
 #1125206  by CSX Conductor

Narrowgauger wrote:Drove by Beacon Park today and found at least 20 plus ^ axles in the locomotive area. tHE MOST IVE SEEN IN MANY MANY YEARS....WHAT GIVES????
Nothing ran west during holiday.
 #1125347  by Narrowgauger

CSX Conductor wrote:
Narrowgauger wrote:Drove by Beacon Park today and found at least 20 plus ^ axles in the locomotive area. tHE MOST IVE SEEN IN MANY MANY YEARS....WHAT GIVES????
Ok I guess ive misunderstood something. Most trains run to the Wocester yet the power still runs into Beacon park??
Ted
 #1125526  by Knucklehead

Narrowgauger wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:
Ok I guess ive misunderstood something. Most trains run to the Wocester yet the power still runs into Beacon park??
Ted
Yes. the road-power still go to Beacon Park to be serviced as there are no engine facilities in Worcester.
 #1128043  by Narrowgauger

Knucklehead wrote:
Narrowgauger wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:
Ted
Yes. the road-power still go to Beacon Park to be serviced as there are no engine facilities in Worcester.

Ok so a loco travels a lousy 150 miles and all those units need servicing? I rode locos for over 500 miles and didn't need any servicing. What could these units need after a short hop ? They left Selkirk...not some small yard/ terminal in Podunk.
 #1128097  by Ironman

The intermodals don't get power in Selkirk, the power runs through from wherever the train originates. The same is true for the westbound trip, the train may start in Beacon or Worcester, but will run through Selkirk to it's final destination. So we are really talking more like 900 to 1000 miles and, if they don't get serviced in Beacon Park, 2000 miles for the round trip.

Generally, only freight trains get fresh power out of Selkirk, and normally none of that power will go to Beacon Park.
 #1128550  by runner28

Does anybody know if CSX/Worcester will be getting back any of the 40 ' freight they lost to the P/W ( i.e ) ( OOCL and APL ect? )
 #1146581  by johnpbarlow

I rode past Beacon Park on Monday afternoon 2/11 on the T on my way to the Beanpot finals. Most of the yard tracks were buried in snow except for the two (?) container load/unload tracks. A Piggypacker was busy and there were quite few CSX, Schneider, and international containers being worked.

Question: anyone know what will become of the gray P70 baggage car once BP closes? From a distance, it looks to be in pretty good shape. It would be great to see it restored to Pennsy livery.

OT observation: the T's automated synthesized female voice announcement of the station east of BP pronounces "Yawkey" as if it were the Italian pasta.
 #1146751  by Komarovsky

The number of containers seems to be steadily decreasing as the month goes on, but every day there are always a pair of intermodals in the yard.

The Worcester yard is seeing quite a lot of DS traffic as of late so maybe CSX has managed to recapture some traffic from P&W.