Railroad Forums 

• CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1627615  by johnhenry

Full armada of equipment installing the new CWR southbound across Jones Rd in Berlin at noon. New CWR starts about 1/10th mile south of Rt 62 xing. Some of the old rail is only 80lbs!
 #1627697  by Knucklehead2

From the Berlin, MA Fire/EMS Facebook page:

**INCIDENT NOTIFICATION**

At approximately 0835 this morning Berlin Fire and Berlin Police Department were notified of a train derailment in the area of Allen Rd. CSX is on scene working to upright the cars, make repairs and perform any necessary clean up. We ask that you please avoid the area to allow them to work as diligently and safely as possible. There are currently NO HAZARDS on the scene!
 #1627700  by johnhenry

Speaking of that 80lb rail, CSX derailed several full C&D debris cars last night about 1 mile north of Rt 62 in Berlin. Most of the train consisting of full C&D, empty center beam, covered hoppers and tanks are behind the derailment. Engines and good cars have been moved south out of the picture. Crews with Hulcher Side Booms are on site starting to get overturned cars back on good track and out of the way, as seen from Allen Rd. Track laying equipment is parked on the Clinton siding and so blocked for now from getting down to where they were working.
 #1627780  by BandA

Did construction debris spill from the cars or did they remain sealed? How fast was the train going (or more likely known, what was the MAS / special order speed for that area?) I know it isn't "hazmat" but strewing junk along the ROW contributes to increased entropy in the universe.
 #1627870  by MatheusB2008

Off topic here, but as far as the yard in leominster goes:

The rail car has been moved, no longer in the yard
There is some main line strength rail dropped off there (jointed of course) with 3 piles of ballast
And there is a whole new switch there

I take it that this could be prep work for a restoration of the yard, whether that be for the new customer or general storage
DISCLAMER Yes I did technically trespass to go there, big whoop. But I can assure you I neither planned on or did touch anything there, whether that be switches, MOW cars, etc. I was simply on my bike cutting thru the pathway to avoid high traffic areas

#1627887  by SpiderHill

I think work started very early today for the MOW crew. I heard a lot of different horns just after 3am. No track equipment on the Clinton siding this morning or this evening. The train ran today with 19 C&Ds into the Clinton area about 7pm. Earlier than I think is has been. A pile of new ties were dropped at the derailment area crossing in Berlin and more dropped at the next crossing up towards Clinton.
 #1628158  by ST377

MatheusB2008 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:18 pm True, but it would be more logical to store it on the clinton siding/runaround assuming its functional
It's functional but not long enough to actually run around the train. Clinton is only fits about 15 cars, given or take. Leominster roughly 25.