Railroad Forums 

• CSX conductor and Military.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#126809  by CSXTravis

Hello all,

I begin my conductor training on May 16th and have a question.

I was on Active duty in the Air Force and I'm now in the Air National Guard. I was wondering how CSX would look at me being in the Guard since i have drills one weekend a month.

Would this be a negative mark against me?

Thanks
Travis

#126814  by LCJ

If it is, there is something seriously wrong with CSX!

#126817  by CSXTravis

Thanks for the reply.

I was just worried they might think I was just using that to get a free weekend or something. But whomever is in charge will have an official paper that shows what weekends the drills are on.

Thanks again. :)

Travis

#126820  by LCJ

Good luck with school and your career at CSX. What location are you training for?

#126828  by CSXTravis

LCJ wrote:Good luck with school and your career at CSX. What location are you training for?
Thank You :)

Training for Russell,KY

Travis

#126896  by Avro Arrow

By federal law they must let you participate in guard duty and not fire you/penalize you because of it.

#127098  by CSX Conductor

There is a specific lay-off code the crew callers can enter into the system anytime you need to mark-off for Guard Duty. As you get older seniority wise, you can always try to hold a job that would give you Saturdays & Sundays off. :wink:

#130038  by frank502

It won't be a problem at all. When I was with CSX we had a guy who was deployed to Bosnia for a while. I think he was a reservist.
 #130837  by korova

Hello

I’m a Canadian Pacific "D&H" Conductor Trainee and I'm also In the NY Air National Guard. I can’t speak for CSX but CP has been pretty good about it, I just mark-off on “military duty status”. If I have duty on Saturday and they call me to go over the road on Thursday I can’t go cause they can’t get me back in time. You’ll get a little discouraged due to the amount of money you start to lose. What state are you in NY?

#136524  by CSXTravis

I'm in the Kentucky Air National Guard. My unit is located in Louisville,KY.

Travis