• CSX Boston and Albany Line

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Knucklehead

charlie6017 wrote:I was under the impression that the entire B&A had continuously lit wayside signals that were only
at interlockings.

Charlie
The B&A from COVE interlocking in Boston to CP-21 in Framingham has Automatic Block Signals, with signals at both interlockings (CPs 3, 4, 11) and intermediate signals (2, 6, 8, 10, 14, 16, 18). From CP-21 to CP-187 the line is Cab Signaled, with signals only at interlockings. In all cases, the signals were dark until a train was in the circuit at which time the signals lit up.
  by CSX Conductor

Backshophoss wrote:As I understand it,Amtrak's CETC controls to CP 3,From CP 3 to Worcester is currently CSX DS in Selkirk,
will be MBCR DS, not Amtrak's CETC.
MBCR & Amtrak are both in the same room, no big difference.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Knucklehead wrote:
charlie6017 wrote:I was under the impression that the entire B&A had continuously lit wayside signals that were only
at interlockings.

Charlie
The B&A from COVE interlocking in Boston to CP-21 in Framingham has Automatic Block Signals, with signals at both interlockings (CPs 3, 4, 11) and intermediate signals (2, 6, 8, 10, 14, 16, 18). From CP-21 to CP-187 the line is Cab Signaled, with signals only at interlockings. In all cases, the signals were dark until a train was in the circuit at which time the signals lit up.
there is also an ABS 7. For extra information, it is Rule 261 ABS signals between COVE and CP 21 and then switches over to Rule 362 (Cab Signals) with Rule 261 (still in effect for travel in both directions on the same track)
  by Knucklehead

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:
at interlockings.

Charlie
there is also an ABS 7. For extra information, it is Rule 261 ABS signals between COVE and CP 21 and then switches over to Rule 362 (Cab Signals) with Rule 261 (still in effect for travel in both directions on the same track)
Thanks for the correction...I know Automatic 7 is there and meant to list it, but my fingers and brain were not talking when I typed...lol
  by CSX Conductor

Knucklehead wrote:Thanks for the correction...I know Automatic 7 is there and meant to list it, but my fingers and brain were not talking when I typed...lol
As log as you don't have one of those 'mental vacations" while passing automatic 14 heading east, I'm ok. LOL.
  by csxb&aconductor

or auto 10 going west ;)
  by Knucklehead

CSX Conductor wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:Thanks for the correction...I know Automatic 7 is there and meant to list it, but my fingers and brain were not talking when I typed...lol
As log as you don't have one of those 'mental vacations" while passing automatic 14 heading east, I'm ok. LOL.
or at least make sure one pays attention to Automatic 10 and 14 so you DON'T blow through the absolute signal at CP-11!!! lol
  by CSX Conductor

Automatic 10 isn't as bad as 14 as it is closer and the signal tends to stay fresh in one's head more.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

does anyone know if Q264's equipment is still laying over in Nevins yard these days or does CSX keep the power on the controlled siding in East Brookfield? also, I assume that all the intermodal trains are beginning their journey out of Beacon Park as lite engines, for ex Q119, Q019 etc, going to Worcester to get the train that is already built, and then continue on their journey west?
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

CSX Conductor wrote:Automatic 10 isn't as bad as 14 as it is closer and the signal tends to stay fresh in one's head more.
I agree, especially if one has to make the Wellesley stops at the Hills and Farms
  by CSX Conductor

I was thinking more along the lines of the CSX guys. Coming east, you're usually more tired because you've been on duty longer than you have been if you're just leaving Beacon.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

CSX Conductor wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of the CSX guys. Coming east, you're usually more tired because you've been on duty longer than you have been if you're just leaving Beacon.
I know, throwing in a lil joke, for us MBCR boys, the trip in from Worcester can be a long one haha
  by Ironman

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:does anyone know if Q264's equipment is still laying over in Nevins yard these days or does CSX keep the power on the controlled siding in East Brookfield? also, I assume that all the intermodal trains are beginning their journey out of Beacon Park as lite engines, for ex Q119, Q019 etc, going to Worcester to get the train that is already built, and then continue on their journey west?
Yes, Q264 power stays in East Brookfield unless they have P&W's, then the power will usually stay on the P&W. If westmost engine is no good to go west, due to no cab signal, facing wrong direction, ect. then the power will go to the North Yard in Framingham to be wyed.

The local still serves the chemical place, but yes all the road jobs are lite engines out of Beacon. All movement in Beacon Park is lead 3 TV 1. Switches are lined and locked and Beacon is now controlled by the engine house.
  by railman616

I love 5 mph from CP4. It's like watching paint dry. Over 20 minute to get to the house. Here one for you Matt, Slow Speed Control system work great except for the dip at Cambrdge Street. You just have to remember to turn it off if you want to go faster.
Last edited by railman616 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Ironman wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:does anyone know if Q264's equipment is still laying over in Nevins yard these days or does CSX keep the power on the controlled siding in East Brookfield? also, I assume that all the intermodal trains are beginning their journey out of Beacon Park as lite engines, for ex Q119, Q019 etc, going to Worcester to get the train that is already built, and then continue on their journey west?
Yes, Q264 power stays in East Brookfield unless they have P&W's, then the power will usually stay on the P&W. If westmost engine is no good to go west, due to no cab signal, facing wrong direction, ect. then the power will go to the North Yard in Framingham to be wyed.

The local still serves the chemical place, but yes all the road jobs are lite engines out of Beacon. All movement in Beacon Park is lead 3 TV 1. Switches are lined and locked and Beacon is now controlled by the engine house.
Thank you for all the information Ironman! Wow the B&A has changed alot in the last 3 years in operations, and physical characteristics, new age emerging