• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Gilbert B Norman

I'd like to think that Chessie knew what she bought into, namely a road whose key interchange to handle traffic to and from the Port of Saint John essentially existed only on paper.

Meantime, from reviewing the discussion over at the CPKC Forum regarding the recent Moosehead Lake incident, it appears that the CP-MAINE is able to handle high value Container traffic, so it would appear that Chessie had best get her resources at work to rebuild the necessary trackage to serve, as distinct from simply making rates through, that interchange.
  by F74265A

Everyone knew the decrepit condition of the line east of Bangor

And yes, Cp’s moose head is clear for stacks and rax. And has been for a long time
Pretty sure it was even before cp gave up on it the first time when it was nearly abandoned but instead sold to undercapitalized operators
  by Douglasphil

Locals based in the New York and Philadelphia areas are now required to be Aces equipped in order to operate on Amtrak and Septa lines . This has really put the squeeze on the roster of Aces /PTC equipped engines .
  by taracer

newpylong wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:18 am I imagine power swapping coming off or onto the Worcester Main is a pain in the ass and that is why they don't bother.
The westbounds go to down to New Bond (Barber Station) with the 7500's in the lead often, and they can't lead west to Selkirk. We've been having to put a regular, no ACESS, cab signal engine on the point to go to Selkirk fairly often now. That involves going lite up the branch from the Worcester yard.

The eastbound 426 almost always has an ACESS engine leading out of Selkirk, but some times not.
Last edited by taracer on Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by taracer

ST377 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:31 pm I believe the rail is to finish up the Worcester Main Line but ultimately we'll see for certain, as it went up to Ayer on M426 this afternoon.

Lack of ACSES equipment would certainly explain the use of 1712 repeatedly on the B&A over the last month. I agree those 6200 GP40's shouldn't be leading road trains. Not they it's any better (or quieter), but aren't there a number of SD40s equipped (the 8800-series springs to mind)?
The 8800-series ex-Conrail's are still around. There are also some 8000 series ex L&N's that have been ACESS equipped.
  by taracer

johnpbarlow wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:10 am Perhaps ironically but when NS starts utilizing CSX trackage rights between Voorheesville and Hill Yard for its New England IM traffic, it should no longer need to use the dual mode 69XX PTC SD60E leaders but will be able to use its conventional I-ETMS configured power (including heritage units!).

I wonder why CSX doesn't constrain its scarce ACSES PTC road power for use only between Worcester and Maine? That's apparently what is done for Framingham-bound traffic from M436 - ACSES capable power is swapped or added at Worcester for the round trip to Framingham and back. Plus then M426/M427 could operate with DPU capable power over Charlton and the Berkshires.
Worcester is not setup for this kind of switching and would cause a huge traffic jam trying to swap power on two trains on a regular basis.
  by neman2

In reference to the posts about the rail going to Maine rather than the Worcester Main--------

Keep in mind the improvements on the Worcester Line were a commitment to the MWRA and Commonwealth of Massachusetts that CSX had made as part of the purchase of Pan AM, meeting that deadline gives them a lot of credit for living up to their word. The rest of the Worcester Line may need improvement but CSX may have other areas that deserve more immediate attention.
  by F74265A

I understand the Mwra commitment and that other spots on the RR are worse than Clinton Ayer. But I do think it needs to be addressed at some point for it to be up to csx secondary mainline standards. I’m pretty sure Syracuse to massena, which I think sees similar levels of traffic is a much faster RR. on the mainline between Worcester and Rigby, are there any other 10 mph segments left?
  by ST377

ST377 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:31 pm I believe the rail is to finish up the Worcester Main Line but ultimately we'll see for certain, as it went up to Ayer on M426 this afternoon.

Lack of ACSES equipment would certainly explain the use of 1712 repeatedly on the B&A over the last month. I agree those 6200 GP40's shouldn't be leading road trains. Not they it's any better (or quieter), but aren't there a number of SD40s equipped (the 8800-series springs to mind)?
My source was obviously incorrect on the rail train....sorry folks.
  by newpylong

F74265A wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:25 pm I understand the Mwra commitment and that other spots on the RR are worse than Clinton Ayer. But I do think it needs to be addressed at some point for it to be up to csx secondary mainline standards. I’m pretty sure Syracuse to massena, which I think sees similar levels of traffic is a much faster RR. on the mainline between Worcester and Rigby, are there any other 10 mph segments left?
It's all (the Worcester Main) going to be brought up to at least 25 later this spring, have patience. But there is only so much they can do at once. They were handed a system with approximately 150 miles of 10 MPH mainline.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Messrs. F7. ST, and Newpy, when we refer to the Worcester Main, are we addressing the segment Worcester to Lowell Jct, or otherwise the route of the State of Maine and Bar Harbor?

Isn't Lowell Jct - Portland FRA Class 4, compliments of the NNEPRA, so The Downeasters can operate at 79?

Out of Town, yet still enquiring mind wants to know.
  by F74265A

I cannot speak for others, but here's what I mean:

Worcester Main -- The remnants of the Worcester, Nashua and Portland from Worcester to the Hill Yard in Ayer.

the Fitchburg -- the now MBTA segment of mainline from the Hill Yard in Ayer east to the junction with the Stony Brook Branch at a place called Willows.

Stony Brook Branch -- The segment from Willows east to the Wye at North Chelmsford on the Northern Mainline. This segment once was the Stony Brook Branch and then later became part of the freight mainline bypassing Boston
  by jwhite07

I'm none of the named, but weighing in anyway since I live literally within earshot of the line in question (I heard a train blowing for a crossing about ten minutes ago in fact), the Worcester Main Line is the segment of former B&M between Worcester and Hill Yard in Ayer. And yes, it is the route once trod by the State of Maine and the Bar Harbor Express.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I had several Camp Special journeys over such '52-'55, and a December '59 State of Maine as well.

From the reports here, they would suggest the line is presently FRA Class 1, or maybe in some spots 2.

If this route is how Chessie plans to move the substantially increased traffic, including high value Containers and even autos, she hopes to attract, then she had best give up her Fancy Feast and start "liking" what's at the dollar store.
  by F74265A

Worcester to Clinton was upgraded last year to 25 mph after the installation of heavy welded rail
This addressed concerns from MA and mwra about the track by reservoir
So improvements are happening
As newpylong rightly notes, huge chunks of the property were in a state of disrepair and csx has a full plate to get it up to even a basic level