• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by newpylong

ST377 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:25 pm CSX F40 1 and 2 are actually being tested for PTC in Keolis territory. Rumor mill saying it'll happen tonight on the B&A.
Correct they're testing the latest ACSES on the B&A.
  by neman2

I have noticed on videos on You Tube a lot of the ex-CSX locomotives that Pan-Am purchased now have all "CSX" logos completely covered instead of just a line of painted through them. The only marks are the "MEC" logos.
  by F74265A

I understand that a rail train came east in the B&A last night. I do not know its destination. Presumably for pan am rehab
  by F74265A

neman2 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have noticed on videos on You Tube a lot of the ex-CSX locomotives that Pan-Am purchased now have all "CSX" logos completely covered instead of just a line of painted through them. The only marks are the "MEC" logos.
Does csx have a severe power shortage? I had expected all the pan am power to be parked or sent off by now
  by neman2

I'm not sure but I assumed it was being kept for PTC capabilities they have on MBTA sections.
  by taracer

The rail train is for the former Pan Am, but I don't know its exact destination. It had been sitting in Selkirk since the 9th.

There is a shortage of ACSES equipped engines. For big road power they only have the handful of 400 series engines that were retro fitted to run on the Hudson Line so they could retire the ex-Conrail SD60M's. The various SD40-2's you are seeing have been ACSES equipped for a while, but would usually be trailing engines on the B&A, being moved to West Springfield or Framingham for use on locals . They were used as leaders on the Hudson. Now they are used as leaders on the B&A like its 2004. These relics should not be a lead engine on mainline trains in 2023.

They are generally keeping the ACSES engines captive to the B&A and Hudson Line now, although 433/434 on the River Line get them sometimes.

The old 7500'sare still in the mix so that they can remove an ACSES engine when they need to, and they still use them on the lesser Pan Am lines.
  by ST377

I believe the rail is to finish up the Worcester Main Line but ultimately we'll see for certain, as it went up to Ayer on M426 this afternoon.

Lack of ACSES equipment would certainly explain the use of 1712 repeatedly on the B&A over the last month. I agree those 6200 GP40's shouldn't be leading road trains. Not they it's any better (or quieter), but aren't there a number of SD40s equipped (the 8800-series springs to mind)?
  by johnpbarlow

Perhaps ironically but when NS starts utilizing CSX trackage rights between Voorheesville and Hill Yard for its New England IM traffic, it should no longer need to use the dual mode 69XX PTC SD60E leaders but will be able to use its conventional I-ETMS configured power (including heritage units!).

I wonder why CSX doesn't constrain its scarce ACSES PTC road power for use only between Worcester and Maine? That's apparently what is done for Framingham-bound traffic from M436 - ACSES capable power is swapped or added at Worcester for the round trip to Framingham and back. Plus then M426/M427 could operate with DPU capable power over Charlton and the Berkshires.
  by newpylong

I imagine power swapping coming off or onto the Worcester Main is a pain in the ass and that is why they don't bother.
  by jamoldover

Their policy is also based around the fact that Selkirk is where most of that power is based, so it all needs to go back there for inspections, repairs, etc. Waterville hasn't been factored into that yet, and probably won't be until management has a chance to evaluate things.
  by johnpbarlow

The P&W block on M426 is head-out so the train is already being switched a bit on the B&A main at CP-45 to back the P&Ws into their yard. Seems like an opportune time to make power adjustments for the Ayer/Maine bound block.

Is CSX adding ACSES PTC to more road power to alleviate the shortage?
  by F74265A

F74265A wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:15 pm I understand that a rail train came east in the B&A last night. I do not know its destination. Presumably for pan am rehab
Saw a video today of the rail train heading east through the wye at NC last night as part of 426. Presumably that means this rail is not for Clinton- Ayer. That section needs rail badly so I hope it gets attention soon. The video, by Stoney brook railroad videos on YouTube, claims the rail is going to keag in ME.
  by newpylong

jamoldover wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:02 am Their policy is also based around the fact that Selkirk is where most of that power is based, so it all needs to go back there for inspections, repairs, etc. Waterville hasn't been factored into that yet, and probably won't be until management has a chance to evaluate things.
Waterville is absolutely capable of inspecting and doing most light repairs for any units based out of Selkirk. They've been doing it since 426/427 was extended.
  by newpylong

F74265A wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:06 pm
F74265A wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:15 pm I understand that a rail train came east in the B&A last night. I do not know its destination. Presumably for pan am rehab
Saw a video today of the rail train heading east through the wye at NC last night as part of 426. Presumably that means this rail is not for Clinton- Ayer. That section needs rail badly so I hope it gets attention soon. The video, by Stoney brook railroad videos on YouTube, claims the rail is going to keag in ME.
It doesn't need it as badly as the Keag line, which is effectively OOS without new rail.