Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Alcochaser

I recently rode the CSSSB/South Shore from Ogden Dunes to Randolph Street.

Full Double track CTC is going in, from Emerson to Kensington.

Both mains will be fully signaled for bi-directional movement at full speed.

As part of this, a lot of the odd switchwork is being ripped out. Odd little pockets and such, long unused, old freight leads.

All the spring switches are also being removed, replaced with ether CTC interlockings, or electric locked switches. The State Line plant on the CSSSB is getting a lot of new power switches for the yard leads to the main, as well as the crossovers there. All of the double crossovers are getting CTC interlockings.

Gone to arte thw SS dwarves, many are all ready covered with bags.

Hard to belive, a CTCed interurban!

by dinwitty

is the kensington interlocking still single track crossings?
Used to have double track.

Sounds like a part of their speed up deals, sounds cool actually.

If the Valpo extensions and others come to fruition, this certainly is needed.

by PRRGuy

Yep, kensington is still single track. and the new signals are already in use there, in fact most of the old 1930's block signals on that segment have already been replaced with the new signals with LED's ...very bright I might add.

by doepack

Wow, this is interesting. Perhaps the CTC modernization of the current physical plant could be construed as a precursor to the West Lake (Valpo extension) project, although that's just a guess. Still, I'd like to know: Has NICTD set a tentative completion date for this project? How is it being funded? And if the answer isn't Michigan City as I initially surmise, where will the dispatching desk be located?

by MikeF

doepack wrote:Wow, this is interesting. Perhaps the CTC modernization of the current physical plant could be construed as a precursor to the West Lake (Valpo extension) project, although that's just a guess.
True, but as the CTC will eventually replace the 1920s ABS signal system on the entire line between Kensington and South Bend, it could also be viewed simply as a necessary replacement of an ancient, outdated system.
Still, I'd like to know: Has NICTD set a tentative completion date for this project? How is it being funded?
Perhaps PRRGuy knows more about this -- I think originally they were supposed to do most of the work between Gary and Michigan City this year, with the entire line complete sometime next year. They're running significantly behind schedule if that was the case, so I would guess they might be finished by 2007. I don't have any specifics on the funding, but since it's a NICTD project, it's being paid for by federal and state money combined with local matching funds. I'd think SouthShore Freight is probably throwing in a few bucks too.
And if the answer isn't Michigan City as I initially surmise, where will the dispatching desk be located?
Yes, the new dispatching office (known as "the bomb shelter" or "Fort NICTD" because of its semi-underground construction) is located at the Michigan City Shops complex. It's immediately southeast of the Carroll Avenue station parking lot and can be accessed both from that lot and from Roeske Avenue.

by PRRGuy

The segment between gary metro and kensington is supposed to be activated in November, as most of the installation has been completed already. the new fiber-optic cable has been layed down the entire line all the way to the SB airport. The next segment is Gary metro to shops yard, then naturally after that the final segment to South Bend.

by MR77100

What is the original track configuration of of the South Shore? Wasn't it double track between Chicago and Gary, and then single track east of there? I know in the Indiana Dunes area, near Beverly Shores, there was space under the catenary for a second track, but I am not sure if it ever was installed.

by PRRGuy

Yes, it's always been double track to Gary, the single track with passing sidings the rest of the way to South Bend.
I've always wondered the same thing about that segment of line, It seems like there could've been a second track but I've yet to see any record of one being there. Perhaps it was just a little bit of planning ahead.

by Tadman

According to some books it was a 'plan ahead' measure that was never needed. Although some longer sidings in the dunes have been connected for a Ogden Dune-area double track in addition to the Gary-Chicago segment.

by PRRGuy

I must admit it would be pretty cool to see them lay another main out that way.