Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#775137  by justalurker66

dinwitty wrote:Where are the pantagraphs? You know, when you get under the wire you could kill the engines and save fuel....

-comic rant over-
Pantagraphs are an excellent idea. Perhaps not in freight service but put EMDs on the West Lake service to Lowell or Valparaiso (via Gary) on a push-pull into Randolph St and you may have a winning combination. Use the pans on the current line and crank up the gensets when in new territory.
 #777350  by BSUmusicman

I know a guy that works for South Shore Freight. There is no talk of replacing any of the GP-38s. They are only testing the unit for EMD on their shortline haulage. The test unit gets about 3,000hp on an eight cylinder engine. However, the cost of the locomotive is something to be questioned. SSF is very happy with the GP-38s and probably will be since they have spent time and money on repainting the locos.

Keith
 #779297  by jlaroccoii

So what was the story with the blue CITI Group GP20D's they had for a couple of weeks, around 2002 I think? Those would be interesting in orange. Just not in the market at the time, or not cost effective as oppossed to rebuilding the Geeps?
 #779455  by BSUmusicman

I can try to find out for you. My connection,i'm pretty sure, did not work for SSF in 2002. My guess would be cost vs rebuiling. That was a relatively new technology in 2002?..
 #781122  by Tadman

I would guess good - CSS just repainted half the fleet and likely wouldn't spend that kind of money on something headed for retirement.