Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by starship

I was bored and had heard that the starships as well as other things were being cut up in the deadline so I ended up heading there and taking a few pictures. Very sad to see everything in pieces :( .

by Fred G

Sad, yes, but they have to go sometime and it afforded you an opportunity for some unique photos. Nice job!

by roee

So I wonder how much it would cost if you wanted to buy the cab, say from the front door forward, and maybe the same with a vestibule of a ACMU. That would be an intresting 'room' to run MSTS from.

Nice shots and thanks for sharing, a sad sight.

by FL9

Did you get any SPV's or budd coaches? Its sad to see the FL9s being cut up but you cant keep them all and look at the bright side, we have plenty preserved or working with other railroads.
  by Overtime

Where exactly are these cars located? I would like to go take some pictures myself. Can you see the cars from public property?

by boston774

The most unfortunate thing is that a boatload of money was put into these, and they didn't run for very long after their rebuilds.

by Otto Vondrak

The "dead line" is on private property, so visit at your own risk.

-otto-

by Lackawanna484

Thanks for sharing these pix.

I was surprised to horns on several units. They're often stripped first.

by Dieter

Are they going to scrap the two Empire State Express survivors? Is any group trying to get them donated?

Dieter.

by R384149

is that last 4500 MU car still there?

by Otto Vondrak

The "Empire State" survivors are not salvageable. Too far gone. Plenty of ESE Budd coaches preserved and in service: Rochester Chapter NRHS has a set, as does the Western New York Railway Historical Society. I'm sure there are others around the country.

The last "4500" aka "1077" is resting comfortably at the north end of Croton East on morphine drip. Just let her enjoy her last days in peace, she's too far gone to come back. Not to mention all her windows have been blanked out, and that baggage door is not original equipment.

-otto-

by R384149

Otto Vondrak wrote:The "Empire State" survivors are not salvageable. Too far gone. Plenty of ESE Budd coaches preserved and in service: Rochester Chapter NRHS has a set, as does the Western New York Railway Historical Society. I'm sure there are others around the country.

The last "4500" aka "1077" is resting comfortably at the north end of Croton East on morphine drip. Just let her enjoy her last days in peace, she's too far gone to come back. Not to mention all her windows have been blanked out, and that baggage door is not original equipment.

-otto-
thats a shame,they should just use parts from old 100s to fix 1077.

by Terminal Proceed

why bother?

by DutchRailnut

1077 was shopped years ago because of cracked frame. The years as towed material handeling car for GCT were not kind to the car.
it has a obvious bowing to frame, no electrical or mechanical gear and everything is welded shut on it.
its basicly a 85 foot boxcar.