Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1507618  by GSC

I have never gotten to see the turnaround at Lakewood. Only about an hour to do this? Do they just drop and hook and go the other way? I have to get down there to see how the trackage is set up to be able to handle some 18 cars at one time, drop the loads, and grab the empties and head east. I live all of 20 minutes away but my schedules are a mess and I haven't gone to witness this. Some day?

I remember reading in these threads when a passing siding was built in Lakewood and service to Lakehurst was ended. That siding must be pretty long.

I'm supposed to be retired, or at least trying to be. A Lakewood journey is in the works.
 #1507629  by NJT4149

GSC wrote:I have never gotten to see the turnaround at Lakewood. Only about an hour to do this? Do they just drop and hook and go the other way? I have to get down there to see how the trackage is set up to be able to handle some 18 cars at one time, drop the loads, and grab the empties and head east. I live all of 20 minutes away but my schedules are a mess and I haven't gone to witness this. Some day?

I remember reading in these threads when a passing siding was built in Lakewood and service to Lakehurst was ended. That siding must be pretty long.

I'm supposed to be retired, or at least trying to be. A Lakewood journey is in the works.
I took some video of the runaround at Cross Street a couple years ago. Here is that video; skip to 11 minutes

https://youtu.be/KDCBAE7nvfQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1507725  by Coast Line Railfan

GSC wrote:I have never gotten to see the turnaround at Lakewood. Only about an hour to do this? Do they just drop and hook and go the other way? I have to get down there to see how the trackage is set up to be able to handle some 18 cars at one time, drop the loads, and grab the empties and head east. I live all of 20 minutes away but my schedules are a mess and I haven't gone to witness this. Some day?

From what I understand, with about 11-12 cars they can just run the locomotive around hassle-free. If they have more, they can either do the "hokey pokey" and shuffle the cars around so that both locos are leading, or they can do what Bracdude reported one week by pulling the leader forward, pulling the train around the leader with the second engine, and then drill Woodhaven with the leading loco while the trailing engine sat at Cross Street. IF memory recalls, that's how they do it lol.
 #1507754  by Bracdude181

@Coast Line Railfan Yeah that's pretty much how they did it that one time. Not entirely sure if the trailing unit goes to cross street when they do it that way, but it sure does feel like it when they have a large shipment for Woodhaven lol.
 #1507868  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:As per a friend, NS 5313 and CSX 4406 will arrive at browns today on OI-16.

They were just added at Port Reading for power to get up the hill at Essay, the OI16 took them back to Port Reading last night.
 #1508204  by NJT4149

Gee, it sure would be cool to see NS 5285 and NS 5628 elephant style on today’s train....... 🤔

17 Woodhavens and a tank today. Will be picking up a box at Extech
 #1508212  by NJT4149

Permission to open up Church at 3:29 PM
Lined and locked normal 3:40 PM