• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Coast Line Railfan

SA-31 departed South Amboy at 3:43 PM, a short train today with a tank and 6228 leading.
  by RailsEast

CSX 6228 shf + 12, approaching Maxwell Rd in Eatontown at 4:45 in the pm. Looks like 11 for Woodhaven and one tank this week....
  by Coast Line Railfan

Arrived in Farmingdale around 6:15.
  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

I am sorry to officially report this...
The Conrail WPSA31 will no longer serve Extech anymore... we have lost a customer :(
Truck shall now serve them.
Last edited by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Coast Line Railfan

Jersey Rail FIlmmakers wrote:I am sorry to officially report this...
The Conrail WPSA31 will no longer serve Extech anymore... we have lost a customer :(
Now that is speculation, but the possibility is certainly real.

Run from last Thursday :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p68Dnf-fd2Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by R&DB

Jersey Rail FIlmmakers » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:17 pm

The Conrail WPSA31 will no longer serve Extech anymore... we have lost a customer
Source please?
  by ccutler

I wonder whether CSX management, exiting "boutique businesses" even if they are profitable, is at fault if Extech is lost as a customer.
  by Tanker1497

Kinda a strange thing if true. Why drive by a customer and not serve them even if they only are receiving products? It was always a quick turn for the crew!
  by glenn cannizzaro

Time for a new operator,shortline, to run this line. Maybe they can bring more business back.they need to operate more than once a week to keep customers.
  by R&DB

glenn cannizzaro wrote:Time for a new operator,shortline, to run this line. Maybe they can bring more business back.they need to operate more than once a week to keep customers.
Right on the money. My candidates are NJSL and SRNJ.
The questions are where to place a yard and where to interchange with Conrail, CSX or NS. Not sure if NJT will allow use of Red Bank as a yard / interchange although it is the logical site. The current CR run could be to from Browns to Red Bank and be done in the 3-hour window between 2 and 5 AM when NJT does not run. There is room there for at least one more track. CR gets quicker turn-around and only 1 crew. NJT and CR get less chance of interference.
The advantage to the shortline would be no need for PTC if they do not enter the Coast Line.

R&DB wrote:
Jersey Rail FIlmmakers » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:17 pm

The Conrail WPSA31 will no longer serve Extech anymore... we have lost a customer
Source please?
NJT 4149
Donny
  by CR7876

ccutler wrote:What did Extech ship?
Extech received Brick, they also have other locations on Conrail in the Terminal.

Any attempt to Shortline the Southern, will also probably include the Freehold Ind as a package deal.
  by RailsEast

But....the Freehold IT and the Southern are very disconnected, why package them together? It would make more sense to spin off the Southern to NJSL, who connects directly, and then Browns and all of it's directly connected lines (Dayton, Hightstown, Freehold, New Brunswick) to someone else. Remember, new railroad is a million dollars a mile to build, so even the five miles from Freehold (Prestone) to Farmingdale seems impossible without a 'very' generous state grant. I don't see these 5 miles as a 'rebuild'...it's been 40 years of inactivity.

Or, let someone acquire/lease Browns and all it's lines, so CR just has a daily transfer to Sayreville. I suppose NS and CSX (and NJT for the Southern) would have to agree to everything as well, and I am not privy to the terminal switching agreements originally laid out for CR back in the day.

Anyway, just more stuff to ponder over.....
Chris