• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by NJT4149

SA-38 eastbound through Farmingdale at 1:15 AM. NS 5283 + 10 (9 empties, 1 tank)
  by NJT4149

Here's my video of the train from this past Thursday:

https://youtu.be/zz2tqVgUIBk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by NJT4149

SA-31 permission to open Church at 4:29 PM
Lined and locked normal 4:47 PM
Clear of the Southern Secondary at BANK 5:27 PM
  by RailsEast

Nice shots & video from last run, gentlemen; nothing too exciting today, NS 5283 shf + 9 Woodhavens (8 centerbeams and a boxcar with a bad flatspot on one wheel/axle), approaching Maxwell Rd. in Eatontown at 5:45 in the pm.
Chris
  by RailsEast

NS 5283, CSX 2812 elephant-style + 17, passing Maxwell Rd in Eatontown at 4:45 in the pm. One tank and 16 Woodhavens this week.
Chris
  by R&DB

Elephant style? Haven't seen that in a while. Guess they couldn't make it to ESSAY or Jamesburg to use a wye.
  by RailsEast

"And the seas of green parted, for as to allow a train of great magnitude to pass, this being a special event; in fact, a train of this importance does only occur once every seven days in this region, exciting townspeople along its route".

http://railseast.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to the crew for getting out a bit earlier this week...45 minutes later, the heavens opened up (literally), and thunder & lightning swept over the landscape. RRPA.net is in another funk, not allowing me to upload anything, so my site gets the nod this week.

Harry, they grab & go from Browns, and use whatever power is cab-signal equipped (for NJT) however it is positioned. There is also a wye on the Gillespie branch in South River (probably closest), but it would take too much time to spin a unit just for one run. Running like the elephants is indeed rare, and has happened perhaps 3 or 4 times in the past few years.

Chris
  by RailsEast

Early return this morning, eastbound through Shrewsbury at 0150 hours...
  by NY&LB

SA 31 given permission to open Church running track at 3:36 in the PM
  by RailsEast

NS 5283, CSX 2812 + 16 lumber, Sycamore Ave in Shrewsbury at 4:40 in the pm.
  by bigblue5277

Chris,

Your photos are always good, but sometimes your posts are even better.
RailsEast wrote:"And the seas of green parted, for as to allow a train of great magnitude to pass, this being a special event; in fact, a train of this importance does only occur once every seven days in this region, exciting townspeople along its route".

http://railseast.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to the crew for getting out a bit earlier this week...45 minutes later, the heavens opened up (literally), and thunder & lightning swept over the landscape. RRPA.net is in another funk, not allowing me to upload anything, so my site gets the nod this week.

Harry, they grab & go from Browns, and use whatever power is cab-signal equipped (for NJT) however it is positioned. There is also a wye on the Gillespie branch in South River (probably closest), but it would take too much time to spin a unit just for one run. Running like the elephants is indeed rare, and has happened perhaps 3 or 4 times in the past few years.

Chris
  by RailsEast

Thanks much, Jason, I appreciate the good words coming from a photog of your reputation. I try to add a bit of 'flavor' to the every day railroad scene. At any given event, take yourself out of the moment, take note of your surroundings and inject a bit of RR history that will influence the description of your photograph.

It's good to be a student of RR history; it makes you really appreciate what we have today, especially on our 157 year-old Southern Secondary.....

Chris
  by RailsEast

Eastbound at Sycamore Ave, 0305 hours.
  by RailsEast

CSX 4415 shf + 13, approaching Maxwell Rd in Eatontown at 4:40 in the pm. 12 lumber and one tank, appropriately spaced, this week.
Chris