• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by GSC

Tanker1497 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:55 pm
GSC wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:18 pm Never being able to witness it, how is SA31 drilled? Drop the inbound loads and have the engines run around on the passing siding, then pull the empties out, and shove them into the passing siding? Then drill the loads into Woodhaven and then go back for the empties? I was curious as to how those cars were pushed off the end of track a couple weeks ago. Is the train shoved back that far? Looking at Google maps I can see the track layout, just wondering in what order things were done. I'll get there eventually to see it for myself, just wondering what to expect. Thanks.
Excellent video. Thanks for posting it. Cleared up a bunch of my questions. I guess it doesn't matter where BelRay's tanker is in the return consist. I was curious as to how Woodhaven was drilled. Now that the sunlight lasts longer, I just might head down there to watch it for myself. Thanks again.

As for those who see certain locomotives still in operation as a "personal insult", I remember when there was next to nothing operating down the Southern. Two Geeps and one boxcar, maybe, if that. Take what you can get before the current lumber prices shut down SA31 running to Lakewood every week.

This might help you understand
  by OCtrainguy

The power does cycle through the yard in Shared Assets, as I've seen the same engines based out of Browns Yard, Metuchen and south Jersey. Now, I am not sure how many CSX engines got the NJT PTC system, so that pool of engines that are available for use may have shrunk.
  by Bracdude181

@OCtrainguy CSX and NJT use the exact same PTC system. (ACSES) The only engine I know for sure that doesn’t have it is 4429. Oddly aside from more CSX SD40-2s (The NS SD40s and SD45s have a PTC system that doesn’t work with NJT) there hasn’t been much of an increase in the amount of CSX power in North Jersey.

Besides, North Jersey has enough engines right now to cover all their yards right now. The problem is that so many of them are broken.

As far as CSX goes 4452 has oil problems, 4432 and 4451 have no pulling power, 4429 runs very hot. So hot that it’s actually beginning to melt the paint on the roof. 4405 runs roughly and smells like someone mixed heating fluid and kerosene together, then set it on fire. 6160 has had a broken air compressor for over a year now, and it hadn’t been fixed yet the last time it was in browns. 6228 was fine at first but now it rattles really bad, and the #2 traction motor went out while SA22 was using it two weeks ago.

Not to say that every engine we’ve had in the past was better. Anyone here remember NS 5278? One of my friends actually watched Conrail try to fix when it broke down in Lakehurst many years ago. It’s on the BU-20 nowadays.

Then there was the incident where a traction motor on NS 3021 went out and the train was stuck at Collingswood Auction for quite some time. (At least a few days I think)

I will say this though. Although it’s not really a good thing for Conrail to have all these engines with problems, sometimes it actually is kinda entertaining to see problems occur while trackside. Makes things more interesting lol.

I’m still waiting for the day when SA31 breaks down at an interlocking on the Coast Line and blocks both tracks. Maybe if that happens they will tow it with an ALP46 😂😂😂
  by RailsEast

Hammerheads through Eatontown at 6:20 in the pm. SA-93 with CSX 4451, CSX 4432 (both long hood forward) with 19 empties, should be at Bank shortly...
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

On the coast line just after 6:45 PM

Will be going slow through Middletown At Oak Hill Rd. Due to signal maintenance nearby
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

In South Amboy

They just got permission via Dispatch to open up Church connecting track

Time is 7:30 pm
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Lined & Locked at Church Connecting at 7:38 pm
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Some of you maybe asking how did 4451 get down to Browns?

Well Of course SA-93 took it down but it also brought down 5 loaded cars for WoodHaven which means it will be 9 cars go back next week.

In addition to the empties, a couple of the cars were from that recent derailment and were picked up at the old DiNaso Siding in Lakewood.

Anyways I wasn’t informed of the train until RailEast post when it was in Eatontown.

Then I chased 93 from Red Bank to South Amboy.
  by Bracdude181

@NJTMonmouthCoastLine Those cars were supposed to stay there until the wheels were replaced. Guess they didn’t feel comfortable doing the work in that location. Either that or they did the work before Thursdays run.

Also what’s up with the weird times they have been going back now? Sometimes PR19 does it, sometimes SA31, sometimes SA91 or 93. Has SA38 been abolished or something?
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Bracdude181 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:35 am @NJTMonmouthCoastLine Those cars were supposed to stay there until the wheels were replaced. Guess they didn’t feel comfortable doing the work in that location. Either that or they did the work before Thursdays run.

Also what’s up with the weird times they have been going back now? Sometimes PR19 does it, sometimes SA31, sometimes SA91 or 93. Has SA38 been abolished or something?
I don't know. The Train ran as normal. Also I noticed in Browns that some Pam-Am cars were in the yard which was rare because we usually get Southern Pacific, Union Pacific and so now
  by Bracdude181

@NJTMonmouth Pan-Am cars show up from time to time. I think International Paper is where they go, or maybe somewhere in Dayton or Hightstown. Lots of boxcar traffic in that area.
  by RailsEast

A rare Saturday south then north sighting on the Southern. SA-93 southbound with five loads at noon, then northbound with 19 empties at 6:30 in the pm. A 'good move' as they say on the railroad...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5558696
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5558705
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Browns Yard Power as of 6/3/21

CSX 4451

CSX 6228 (Someone is going to be happy)

NS 5628

SA-3 currently using 6228/5628
  by Bracdude181

CSX 4451 and CSX 6228 today ( :D )

Car count to follow.
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:39 pm CSX 4451 and CSX 6228 today ( :D )

Car count to follow.
Did they leave Browns?