• CR Loco Camera Project(was:Big Brother is Watching You)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by bmcdr

F-40 1051 has been fitted with two cameras which can provide both real-time and downloadable images in the event of accidents and other incidents. So far, this is the only unit so outfitted for this test program. There is a lens mounted alongside the number indicator and inside the cab under the speed recorder.
  by jwhite07

A locomotive that can take a picture of you taking a picture of it! :-D
  by bmcdr

jwhite07 wrote:A locomotive that can take a picture of you taking a picture of it! :-D
That's clever, I like it!
  by b&m 1566

Are there any other railroads that have something similar or is this the first of its kind for all railroads?
  by sery2831

Many NS and BNSF trains have cameras inside the cab that record forward out of the front window.

Here is an example of a camera and how it can be valuable! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkPC6oBK ... r_embedded

There is a move after the Metrolink crash to equip commuter trains with cameras. Just do a google search on the subject!
  by DutchRailnut

Most Amtrak P42's are equiped and on MNCR the new M-8 commuter cars will have 5 camera's , 4 inside car body and one foreward looking one.
  by Robert Paniagua

Hopefully they'll do this on the Amtrak's AEM7s and HHP-8s as well, including the AE sets for the same safety reasons and I think, locally here on MBTA, thast this is a good idea, to minimize liability and to easily determine the cause of incidents
  by DutchRailnut

Metrolink, agreed the day after NTSB hearings, to equip all locomotives and cab cars with both inward and outward facing camera's.
  by AEM7AC920

Having the pleasure to ride one of the Amtrak units on the Downeaster I can say that some of those now have dash cams!
  by sery2831

Lets keep this thread related to cameras on MBTA Commuter Rail Locos now.
  by mbta1051dan

Haha my namesake engine is getting cams!

Not to get too far of topic, but does this mean that the engineer is being watched, every move he makes is on camera on some engines? It looks like in the case of the '51, they are just aimed outside the loco.

Also, I wonder if this has video database which can be used for engineer training and qualification on certain lines.

-Dan
  by sery2831

The set up we are getting is forward facing only. Nothing pointed inside the cab.
  by RailBus63

Are they testing two different types of cameras? I don't understand why they would otherwise want two cameras that are essentially recording the same view.
  by pvincent342

i hope its outside only , that means that cabrides will now be wayy less common and if it records audio that also now means no more hornshows
  by mbta1051dan

pvincent342 wrote:i hope its outside only , that means that cabrides will now be wayy less common and if it records audio that also now means no more hornshows
Hmmm, cabrides, engineers, horn shows...maybe not a public discussion board ;)

-