Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by PRRGuy

On my way home out of Randolph St. Station on the 8:15 South Shore last night, we made our stop at Van Buren St. and to my surprise a CP Chop nosed Gp-9 and three passenger cars went past the station. The first was a smoothside baggage car, next looked like a converted box car into some kind of track inspection car and last was another passenger car with no observation end but a sheet of glass, inside I noticed about 4 people with computers and other machines. My question is What was this doing this far into Chicago? also, I thought this line was Metra /CNIC ?

by MikeF

I don't know what it's doing there, but I can add that it came east on the Milwaukee District West Line a few days ago.

by MikeF

About once a year Metra hires the CP train to inspect Metra-owned track. For what it's worth, the train was sitting at the west end of Bensenville Yard today.

by Tadman

I saw this train in Blue Island last wednesday. Here's a link:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/353 ... 9280hSEDTG
also, there's a few other decent pics at vermont street taken after a meal at the rail grill.