Railroad Forums 

• Contemplating a career in the railroad industry?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#127196  by jg greenwood

Please consider this: From 1700 Tuesday until 0400 Sunday, I've been home 13-hours! Not much time for the wife and kiddies is it? Great money, terrible family life. Make damned sure you have a very understanding wife!

#127720  by freshmeat

Try living in Winslow, AZ because you cannot hold in Kansas. You bet, have an understanding wife!

#127760  by jg greenwood

freshmeat wrote:Try living in Winslow, AZ because you cannot hold in Kansas. You bet, have an understanding wife!
Sounds like the good ole BNSF! Been there, done that! From 1997-2000, while employed by the BNSF, I was furloughed more than 20 times. Chased work from Blytheville, AR. to Galesburg, IL., a miserable ordeal!
Last edited by jg greenwood on Tue May 17, 2005 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#127861  by steam371

And people wonder why guys go to shortlines? lol

#127863  by jg greenwood

steam371 wrote:And people wonder why guys go to shortlines? lol
Steam371, you're correct. Bigger isn't always better!

#127980  by AmtrakFan

On Amtrak Mr. Greenwood at least your hours are predictable.

#127994  by jg greenwood

AmtrakFan wrote:On Amtrak Mr. Greenwood at least your hours are predictable.
Please don't rub it in John! :wink: Last April (2004) I was in class in Wilmington, Delaware for a re-entry engineer position with Amtrak in Carbondale, IL. After a week of second-guessing myself, guaranteed job vs: the annual funding battle that Amtrak suffers and a questionable employment future, I resigned and returned to the CNIC. Did I make the correct decision? Only time will tell. Oh, forgot to mention the $1100.00/wk. guarantee with Amtrak vs: the $1400.00/wk. with the CNIC. $300.00/wk. X 52 is a considerable difference. The fairly predictable work schedule would have been very nice though. So it goes..........

#128630  by route_rock

Well MR JG you were in my neck of the woods in your BNSF days! No bigger isnt always better some just think that way :wink: Pros and cons make up the world I think you made a good choice for you. Heres a good question. Do them shortline guys that dont know better move up and class 1 guys move down? Kinda zen for a thursday afternoon.

#128638  by steam371

I just started with a shortline, and we have a bunch of class 1 guys who like the shortline, and are'nt looking back to the class 1's.
As far as me moving up to a class 1? Never, i like being at home everynight in my own bed. not for long period of time, but at least my own bed! the money is less i'm told but hey, you can't have your cake and eat it too!

#128845  by CRail

this is why you start young, that way the wife knows what she is getting into before she is the wife! Then she can't complain! I intend on commuter service so the problem wont be nearly as bad, but its still no 9-5 job. The good thing about that is when i begin a family i should be able to hold jobs that are somewhat family-friendly.