Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by NJTRailfan

With NJ Transit you have their projects list projected to be concluded sometime during the year 2020 with the MOM, Cutoff, W Trenton, etc.

What is the MTA's deadline to get the 7 Extension and the 2nd Ave Subway completed? Esp now that the Javit's Convention Center expansion and remodeling is under way. I would think this would be an incentive for the MTA to begining the 7 Line extension from Times Square to the PA Bus Terminal to NYP and then terminate outside the Javits.

Unfortionatly for thsoe transfering from NYP to GCT to catch Metro North you have to walk quite a ways and esp for passengers getting off an MN Trian to walk to the 7 to take it to NYP once the extension is complete.

by devbeep2

where exactly is it supposed to terminate at javits? there's an amtrak tunnel right under the front door.
  by Love Train

NJTRailfan wrote: What is the MTA's deadline to get the 7 Extension and the 2nd Ave Subway completed?
You'll be lucky if you're great grandchildren are alive to see either of them happen.

by NJTRailfan

Oh come on, It's can't be that long. I remember a few years back that voters approved a public question giving the MTA more money to build projects like the 2nd Ave even though the MTA had a surplus.

As far as the 7 extension goes the terminating stop was supposed to be across the street or next door from the Javits.

by Love Train

Just don't hold your breath waiting for either of them to happen.

by djlong

According to what I read on the MTA's website a moment ago, they're going to start awarding the first construction contracts for the 2nd Avenue subway (The "T" line) THIS QUARTER. Construction of Phase I is supposed to start next year with completion in 2013. (Yes, six years for the first phase)

First contracts for the extension of the 7 are also supposed to be around the end of this year.

by NJTRailfan

Theres hope yet...atleast they are moving quicker then NJT! Maybe by the time 2020 rolls around the 2nd Ave and 7 ext. will be completed well before that year while NJT has just completed the Cutoff, W Trenton and MOM. But of coruse with NJT the other projects are left behind.