Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Fred G

I think they're doing the right thing by only building south side platforms for now. Guilford plans to have parking on the north side so the 2nd platform is justified. There aren't really that many trains roaring through that corridor at present, and I don't see a significant increase anytime soon, even with Q bridge construction. Use the money elsewhere.

I also think the argument that this configuration will slow down Amtrak is overstated as well.

by #5 - Dyre Ave

I take it then, that there will be a switch that will allow SLE trains to switch from the eastbound (south) track to the westbound (north) track between Madison and Guilford so they can stop at the platform on the north side of the tracks in Guildford.

by Fred G

#5 - Dyre Ave wrote:I take it then, that there will be a switch that will allow SLE trains to switch from the eastbound (south) track to the westbound (north) track between Madison and Guilford so they can stop at the platform on the north side of the tracks in Guildford.
Guilford has platforms on both sides. It's Branford and Clinton that are one-sided. The morning trains have to wrong rail to pick up passengers.

by Swedish Meatball

Having high level on one side is asking for trouble imho if and when a disabled or late train happens. I would not want to let passengers off in the cut. It also shows once again no imagination on CDOT's part for any future reverse commuting. Once the Q-bridge begins it's work and 95, RT 1 and RT 80 are gridlocked the train becomes your only option. I know parking is going to become the other big factor as well especially at Westbrook and Clinton.