• Construction Photos of Newark Subway extension

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by james1787

Ken,
Great Pics! I have been watching for signs of construction but wasn't sure what I was seeing from my view (M&E Line). Cool stuff..

by Ken W2KB

Thanks. I haven't been near the M&E end since heavy construction started, but I work at PSEG so have seen the past 2 or 3 years of work at the south end of the extension.
  by AndyB

Ken,
Great photos! I've walked the area a few times, checking out the construction. The elavated photos answered a few questions I had about the connection. From ground level you can see that the two tracks are at deferent levels as they approach the curve into the City Subway tracks. Apparently the inbound track is going under.
Andy

by james1787

Are they going to end at Broad Street Newark station or are they going to continue on somewhere else?

by Ken W2KB

ryanov, The link you posted is for a different extension, one at the other (northwest) end. It was completed a year or two ago.

The current project is unrelated to the one in the link. To answer the two questions, (1) the north end of the current project is the Newark Broad Street Station, no further, and (2) yes, the inbound track will have to be lower since they are re-using the tunnels that used to divert from the subway and enter the basement of the former PSCNJ Terminal Building. These tunnels were built as part of the original subway project and the inbound track ducked under the 'mainline' to avoid conflicting with outbound cars in this then very busy trolley system. The outbound 'branch' simply curved to the right at approximately the same level to enter the basement.
  by Electrify the RVL!

Ken:

Thanks a bunch. It's good to see this project going forward.

Pitgamer

by Otto Vondrak

So how much of the old PSCT tunnel is being used in this project? Is it all new construction?

by Ken W2KB

The part being used is only from the far point in the above photo and into the subway beyond. The point where old and new joins is right at the north-side sidewalk of Raymond B'lvd. So maybe a couple-hundred feet of the old outbound (from Penn Station) tunnel and the duck-under inbound maybe a total of 500 feet or so. All that was left of the old tunnels ended at the right hand side of the photo at the west-side Mulberry St. sidewalk where the basement wall for the Public Service Enterprise Group HQ exists (the basement covers a larger area than the above-ground two buildings.)

by JLo

No photos, but I took a walk by the Broad St. Station terminus of the line today(7-8-04). Excavation is proceeding on the platform. Drainage pipes and the foundations for the overhead catenary are being installed.

by Ken W2KB

The only variation from the photos I posted for the other end is that counduit, drainage and floor concrete was poured. Not enough visual differenc to warrant another photo, but a lot of intricate work finished.

by JLo

Update: the new ROW is starting to appear along Rt 21, next to the PAC. Retaining walls have been built, along with excavation for the track and platform. Wooden forms have been placed for the track foundation.

by Ken W2KB

The last couple or three weeks the concrete walls are being poured in the to be tunnel area of Mulberry Street. The floor slab has been in for a while.

by Ken W2KB

The Mulberry Street tunnels are almost complete. Just about 100 feet of the outbound and that's it. Most of the excavation already has been backfilled. Mulberry Street is scheduled to be reopened to motor vehicles by the end of this December.