Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1620198  by BAR

The MTA subway map shows a pedestrian connection between the Second Avenue Subway Lexington Avenue/63rd Street Station and the Lexington Avenue 59th Street Station. Is this a physical underground connection? My granddaughter just moved to Manhattan and tells me it is not. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

BAR
Williamsburg, VA
 #1620218  by Allan

It is a walking connection(called an "out-of-system transfer" on the subway map) that is, you have to exit the subway to the street and walk uptown on Lexington Av to East 63rd St (or down to 59th/60th Sts). You then have to re-enter thru the turnstiles using the same MetroCard (or OMNY). I have done this a few times and there is no guarantee that the system won't deduct another fare at the turnstile at 63rd St or 59th on the return trip.
 #1620263  by BAR

Alan,

Thanks for the information. Reminds me a bit of the "transfer" at Yankee Stadium before the physical connection was constructed.

Bill
 #1620328  by MACTRAXX

BAR and Allan: I have used a pay-per-ride Metrocard at either 59/Lexington and 63/Lexington stations in the past to take advantage of what actually is a free stopover provided that one of these two locations is used to re-enter the Subway within 2 hours 16 minutes elapsed time of first entry to the system.

When a Metrocard is used at those two stations following this criteria the turnstile will read "XFER OK" You will have then used your one free transfer on a single $2.75 pay-per-ride fare.

You can test this stopover using a Metrocard with a $2.75 balance taking note to your time of Subway entrance - the system official time can be found at any Metrocard reader in stations - and remembering the two hour 16 minute transfer time limit to use at either of these two Subway stations. I have actually done this in at least one instance to test this option for myself...MACTRAXX
 #1620340  by Allan

MAC, you were lucky. I did a similar thing some years ago, and still had about 30 minutes left on the 2 hour 16 minute time frame (I purposefully kept a track of the time) and I still had $2.75 deducted at 63rd St.