Railroad Forums 

• conductor's laptop

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#282834  by yard ape

I was looking for some info on the software programme that an conductor would use on a laptop for filling out forms while in enroute. Such as a form 125 "Conductors report of freight train movment" and the such. I work for a short line and at one time I thought I heard of the class 1's giving their conductors laptops to ease the paper work and to transmit the completed forms faster.

Yard Ape.
 #283279  by ENR3870

yard ape wrote:I was looking for some info on the software programme that an conductor would use on a laptop for filling out forms while in enroute. Such as a form 125 "Conductors report of freight train movment" and the such. I work for a short line and at one time I thought I heard of the class 1's giving their conductors laptops to ease the paper work and to transmit the completed forms faster.
Class 1 RR's giving conductors laptops?? You mean they'd actually spend money on us? At CN they give us packages with all the needed forms(paper forms).
 #283343  by jg greenwood

ENR3870 wrote:
yard ape wrote:I was looking for some info on the software programme that an conductor would use on a laptop for filling out forms while in enroute. Such as a form 125 "Conductors report of freight train movment" and the such. I work for a short line and at one time I thought I heard of the class 1's giving their conductors laptops to ease the paper work and to transmit the completed forms faster.
Class 1 RR's giving conductors laptops?? You mean they'd actually spend money on us? At CN they give us packages with all the needed forms(paper forms).
Some more "progressive" carriers years ago provided their employees with the ability to log-on their personal computers and determine, to some degree, when they may be called. The CNIC? Only in the last couple of years have we had the ability to access "company computers" from home. The line-ups blow, and for the most part, so does the CNIC! Both the UP and the BNSF have utilized on-board computers ("hammerheads" on the BN) for quite some time. Don't look for this to happen on the miserly CNIC, far too cheap. Both the UP and BN provide vending machines for PPE. On the CNIC, if your terminal has a trainmaster assigned, you might scrounge up a pair of safety glasses, ear plugs, etc. Class-1 ? Only in revenue generated.

#283361  by GOLDEN-ARM

UP had work reporting computers, mounted inside locos dedicated to local freight service. Not removeable, and hardly a laptop, they did allow real time reporting of all work performed. Currently, BNSF uses a "hammerhead" which is a small, portable computer, for real time reporting of local freight work, spotting, pulling, stored, etc., cars. About the size of a Etch-A-Sketch, it's used everywhere a local goes on duty. (The road where I work has one guy, with less than usefull skills. As a prank, his conductor bought him an Etch-A-Sketch, and told him to carry it around, and "practice" his hammerhead reporting!!!) Just another way for the powers that be, to keep an eye on your every move, even when out of eyesight. We also have a "VTR" system, which allows you to do all of the same things, with your cell phone, talking to a computer. It records your ID, train symbol, and all the work you do. Saves you from lugging around a hammerhead all day, but the computer can be very frustrating at times, not recognizing words like "yes, no, times, etc.., " Paper forms for work reporting not really in use here, anymore, on the BNSF. Regards :-D

#283530  by slchub

The on-board computers on the UP are all but useless now. Usually they are in a trailing motor (good thing since they are older motors and are not clean anyway) and every now and then you can get one online on the road just to check the line-ups (are we going to make it to town and have they called a crew for this train?) or something to do.

When I was working the locals up in SLC, I was always wished we could incorporate my PDA with some type of AEI reader so that I could get my list together and then upload the info into the UP work order for our job. Writing down car numbers in a nice steady rain or 40 mph snow storm is always fun.

#283712  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey, Schlub, I have seen handheld AEI scanner for sale, for under $200.00. Here is a quicklink, to one supplier. http://www.saic.com/products/transportation/reader/
I imagine with enough "O/T", you could pay for one. They are compatible with any computer, with a USB cable. You can "roll one by", and make your list on the road. I know one cndr, that has one, for this very purpose. Regards :wink:

#283773  by Aji-tater

They used to have things that made lists of the cars in your train, and the company paid for them. Now they don't have them anymore and the conductors spend their overtime on AEI readers to do it.

Those older things that they used to have? They were called "clerks".

#283816  by yard ape

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Currently, BNSF uses a "hammerhead" which is a small, portable computer, for real time reporting of local freight work, spotting, pulling, stored, etc., cars. About the size of a Etch-A-Sketch, it's used everywhere a local goes on duty.
This sounds like the laptop idea I was looking for. Thanks for the info guys.

Yard Ape.
 #284415  by thebigc

jg greenwood wrote: On the CNIC, if your terminal has a trainmaster assigned, you might scrounge up a pair of safety glasses, ear plugs, etc. Class-1 ? Only in revenue generated.
On NJT your access to PPE and such runs inversely to your rate of pay. Us transportation people are lucky to get lantern batteries / bulbs, safety glasses, earplugs from a Trainmaster. And that's if you're lucky; usually you get a shrug of the shoulders! Gloves and safety sunglasses or another Trainman's lamp? Forget it. If I want that stuff, I go to a mechanical foreman; they've got the goods. But if you want to access the Wal-Mart of the RR, go see a track supervisor. Several types of gloves, safety glasses, ice chests, igloo coolers, Mag-lites, Gatorade, and the list goes on...It's like going to Cabela's. And the track guys are the lowest paid of them all!!

#287520  by SteelWheels21

Not quite the same thing as you guys are talking about, but there is a guy here on my sub that is legendary for his computer prowess and making maps that help you know your territory. He has his laptop hooked up to a GPS and has coodinated it somehow to the line he works. He then wrote a program that allows him to input any Form A and Form B information (as well as track advisories, etc) into the program before leaving. He keeps the thing on and it gives him real time information about anything coming up ahead, including an audible warning for the A & B information. I wouldn't be surprised if he found a way to incorporate AEI readings into his program if he needed them.

Those onboard UP computers are outdated and they aren't good for anything except being a makeshift desk on older units.

#287528  by UPRR engineer

I keep thinking one day that it will come to something like that, paperless, upload a memory stick with all the info, clime on board, plug it in, theres everything you need to know on the locomotive screen. Or better yet, the unit grabs it on its own from space. With the technology of unmanned trains here already, and the saving on paper and printers, im gonna see some big changes.

#287711  by SteelWheels21

I would think that is the direction things are going, but with all the broken computers I see even on the brand new units, I don't think paperwork will ever be replaced entirely. I'd be cool with UP if they used BNSF's format for train orders, much more user friendly.

#288119  by freshmeat

I have been on UP engines with a keyboard in a flip up desk type on the conductor's side. Didn't work that I know of or could find.

I worked witha guy that used his cell phone that had internet access on it to hooked up to his laptop. That way he could see if the dispatcher or caller had called a dog catch crew of us. Need a good cell phone signal for that.

BNSF allows us limited transactions that we can do at home. We can submit special claims, bids, bumps, just about everything except submitting tie up ticket. Darn! We can also check train lineups and boards across the system. It is really pretty nice, that way if you're going to get cut off, you can scout out different terminals from home.

#288167  by UPRR engineer

We use to call them OBT's (On Board Terminals), nothing like a labtop, slow as hell in most places. Gave the conductor on a local a good reason not to ride the headend. "Got to go back and start on my work order" I havent found one that worked in the past 6 years. Guys would cut the rubber keypad off, hit the screen with a hammer, cut the wires... something to do when there bored.