Railroad Forums 

• Conductor Jobs on NJT

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#126498  by sixty-six

I was just curious, as to how one gets a job as an asst. conductor for NJT. Its something I am interested in and any information would be helpful. Thanks!

#126539  by Uzi-Cat

Fill out the application at Maplewood. Fill one out every couple of months. Right now there are no new classes happening. I think one came out a month ago or so as I am getting trainees on my trains again. Took me 2 years to get called while they were doing that massive hiring blitz. All it took was getting the application to the right person. Seems as though the application kept getting "lost" until someone phisically put it on the right persons desk. If it is something you really want, keep on top of it.

Scott

#126601  by sixty-six

Im gonna do the whole resume thing, send it in quarterly. Maybe theyll take me seriously :wink:

#142592  by Nickelplate Pumkinhead

Qualifying is the hard part the more places you are qualifyed the more you work same with NS and other railroads.
Try to get your hands on a timetable as soon as possible.

#144707  by sixty-six

sullivan, good luck to you!

what age does NJT hire asst. conductors at? and what are their primary responsibilities?

and what will getting my hands on a timetable do for me?

#144825  by thebigc

jimzim66 wrote:sullivan, good luck to you!

what age does NJT hire asst. conductors at? and what are their primary responsibilities?

and what will getting my hands on a timetable do for me?
18 yrs. is the minimum. You'll be responsible for collecting revenue on passenger trains, making up trains in terminals (meaning getting them ready for service), performing brake tests, switching cars on yard jobs, and just basic railroad stuff like putting handbrakes on, making hoses, throwing switches and the like.

You don't need to worry about qualifying until you're a promoted Conductor but having a copy of Norac might be helpful as it has the signals illustrated and such. Give you a head start on your rules test.

#145089  by sixty-six

is there a way to go to a bookstore and get like a mini copy of the Norac? haha. and im assuming the "3-4 hours to where youre told" rule goes for the assistants as well.

#145165  by thebigc

jimzim66 wrote:is there a way to go to a bookstore and get like a mini copy of the Norac? haha. and im assuming the "3-4 hours to where youre told" rule goes for the assistants as well.
The four hour call is for Conductors and brakemen as well. You get a five hour call for Atlantic City work.

I'm pretty sure NJT has a couple more classes scheduled by the end of the year so get an application in.

#145906  by JoeRailRoad

jimzim66 wrote:is there a way to go to a bookstore and get like a mini copy of the Norac? haha. and im assuming the "3-4 hours to where youre told" rule goes for the assistants as well.
Here is a PDF file of the NORAC rule book.

http://www.ble482.org/Norac8.pdf
 #152455  by freightguy

A freind of mine got hired in and engineers class at the end of 2003. About 6 months into it they furlouged a group of around 28 engineers. He was on the street for a year as an engineer trainee. They just recalled them in seniority order this past June. He left NJT to go work the NY/NJ Path system.

#152466  by SteelWheels21

Heh, I had an application for that class and had heard they got furloughed (I had moved out of state in the meantime). Glad to hear that they finally got recalled.