Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#424063  by doepack

CITY REPORT

200 condos on track for rehabbed train station
By Jeanette Almada
Special to the Tribune

July 15, 2007

The redevelopment of the eight-story Chicago Union Station headhouse, or
main terminal building, into a 26-story mixed-use building will include 300
hotel rooms and 200 condominiums.

Plans for the residential units were disclosed to the Chicago Community
Development Commission, which approved $58.8 million in tax increment
financing for the project in June.

The Lucien LaGrange-designed building will have a mix of studio and one- and
two-bedroom units with 575 to 1,600 square feet of space, Cathy Caisley, a
Chicago Department of Planning and Development project manager, told
commissioners.

The developers expect to price those units from $260,000 to $760,000.

Union Station comprises operating rail functions below a building at 222 S.
Canal St., east of Canal between Adams Street and Jackson Boulevard, and the
landmark headhouse, across the street at 210 S. Canal. The headhouse, with
the Great Hall at ground level and offices on the upper floors, is
considered an integral part of Daniel Burnham's 1909 Plan of Chicago.

Roughly 60 percent of the headhouse has been vacant for more than two
decades, according to Caisley. The site is owned by the Chicago Union
Station Co., a wholly owned subsidiary of the National Railroad Passenger
Corp. (Amtrak), Caisley said.

Union Station Development Co. LLC will rehab the headhouse and enter into a
long-term ground lease with CUSCo, according to Caisley.

The project will create a 26-story modernized structure with 600,000 square
feet of renewed office space, 85,000 square feet of retail space, 300 hotel
rooms and 200 market-rate condos, Caisley said.

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

#424285  by Tadman

So does this mean the headhouse is demolished, or is a building being built on top of the head house somehow? The headhouse is really neat, but basically unused - I think most people that work in the loop enter directly to track level like I usually do.

#424410  by mkellerm

They are going to build another 18 floors on the existing office space that surrounds the Great Hall. There are some visualizations on the CUS website: future plans.

#424442  by CarterB

Sorta what the did and tried to do with NY Penn Station and Grand Central.

Ruination of another railroad landmark!!

Maybe while they're at it, build condo/retail towers over:
The Water Tower
Buckingham Fountain
Lincoln Park Zoo
Last edited by CarterB on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#424467  by byte

CarterB wrote:
Maybe while they're at it, build condo/retail towers over:
Lincoln Park Zoo
I doubt those would sell due to the odor that usually lingers around zoos...

#424580  by ChiTownHustler

One year ago, people would have bought them. "There's only so much space near Lincoln Park; this HAS to be a great deal!"

It's not as much a bastardization as Soldier Field; but, I'm still not sure if I'm Ok with it.

#424646  by doepack

Union Station's great hall represents one of the last remaining railroad landmarks left in downtown Chicago that is still intact more than 80 years after it was originally built. All of the other downtown terminals have either been demolished long ago, or remodeled (and in LaSalle St's case, it's been remodeled twice over the last 50 years). It's undeniable that through all of the remodeling, much of the original charm of the 4 remaining terminals has been forever lost to history, but it's important to note that some changes have been for the better. For instance, the new Randolph St/Millenium Park terminal is a significant upgrade over the old station. Very nice. In fact, it's not even fair to compare the new station to the old one, which, to put it nicely, was a dump. Dimly lit, dirty, and forbidding, with the air heavy with mildew after a good rain, it was a wretched, sorry excuse for a train station. I'm 99.9% certain that no one waxes nostalgic about "the old Randolph St." terminal, because I don't miss it at all...

Anyway, I'm glad the developers at least had the sense enough to recognize the great hall's historical significance, and will integrate it into CUS's new design. And as such, I don't really consider it a loss; it's more like an evolution...

#424770  by Tadman

That's an interesting concept. Maybe Gilbert B Norman will move his office back to CUS now... It does seem more like an evolution than a bad change - compare it to NYP where they took a neato train station and made it into a big version of old Randolph station in Chicago. (read: underground filthy dump) However the conversion to NYP just confirms the PRR wished the NEC was more like CSS, the real electric railroad.

#424802  by CarterB

Anyway, I'm glad the developers at least had the sense enough to recognize the great hall's historical significance, and will integrate it into CUS's new design.
From what I see of the design it's not "integrating" ..it's "subjugating"
Penn Station NY deja vu!!!