• Commuter set derails at South Station 7-24

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by theinsider

I also posted this under the Commuter rail delay tracker but thought it warranted it's own post.

A set headed to the yard derailed parts of 2 cars, either the second and third or third and fourth cars. It was the set they pull off the Franklin double draft. It is/was blocking all moves off of tracks 9 to 13. I would say the AM is going to be a mess. It was not pretty.
  by Gerry6309

Considering that the three Old Colony Lines and countless MBTA and Amtrak yard moves have to get through that area, I am surprised only Fsirmount is screwed up.
  by StefanW

I'm very curious... What would the crew of that trainset have felt when it happened?
Does the entire train feel it? Does the traction load change abruptly?

IIRC if an air line breaks the whole train goes into emergency, but what if there's a derail and the line doesn't separate?

-- Stefan
  by concordgirl

Three other lines have like 20 minute delays, I think, but Fairmount's the only one being bused afaik.

The article mentioned damage to the tracks and trainset, naturally, but it also said they don't yet know why it derailed. That's why I thought it sounded bad.
  by jonnhrr

Amtrak was hard hit also - several cancellations including some Acelas. My kids were on 83 to PHL, it was delayed 1hr 33 mins.

Jon
  by banshee

If only one track was damaged..and maybe the two adjacent tracks out of service for safety of the work crews..why are there such long delays for AMTRAK?
  by sery2831

Well it probably happened on a switch so that's 2 tracks damaged. And then the train is probably on a bunch of other switches blocking access to several tracks. Then you have tracks out of service for the crane and safety equipment.
  by Robert Paniagua

And this also meant if I'm right that Franklin trains for example, inbound 790, 192, 794, 79 & 798, outbound 791, 793, 795, 797 & 799 that run via the Fairmount/Midland route would have to be diverted via the Shoreline NEC thru BBY with the rest of the Franklin vis Shoreline trains and have them run express to Readville and resume normal service from there to-from Franklin.

For example, I imagine that the very first Franklin run, which goes via Fairmound/Midland (Train 790) would have to be diverted via the NEC/Shoreline route and go thought HYde Park/Ruggles/BBY to get to South Station. The next inbound Franklin Train, 702 would not be affected, since initially, it travels via Shoreline anyways.
  by jonnhrr

Robert Paniagua wrote:And this also meant if I'm right that Franklin trains for example, inbound 790, 192, 794, 79 & 798, outbound 791, 793, 795, 797 & 799 that run via the Fairmount/Midland route would have to be diverted via the Shoreline NEC thru BBY with the rest of the Franklin vis Shoreline trains and have them run express to Readville and resume normal service from there to-from Franklin.

For example, I imagine that the very first Franklin run, which goes via Fairmound/Midland (Train 790) would have to be diverted via the NEC/Shoreline route and go thought HYde Park/Ruggles/BBY to get to South Station. The next inbound Franklin Train, 702 would not be affected, since initially, it travels via Shoreline anyways.
The alerts are showing normal service to Franklin which is surprising, you would think there would be some effect.

Jon
  by jonnhrr

sery2831 wrote:Well it probably happened on a switch so that's 2 tracks damaged. And then the train is probably on a bunch of other switches blocking access to several tracks. Then you have tracks out of service for the crane and safety equipment.
I guess that is why Amtrak was impacted, sounds like there are station tracks they usually use out of service, plus maybe they are having trouble getting equipment out of Southampton St?

Jon
  by Robert Paniagua

The alerts are showing normal service to Franklin which is surprising, you would think there would be some effect.

Jon

Oh wow, I thought now that 799 the 4:30 to Franklin/Dean was gonna get rerouted through Shoreline just like the previous Franklin-Bound train (Train 715-4:10 to Forge Park) which goes via Shoreline anyways. So I guess then 799 will go through Midland NOT Shoreline as you said (or as the MBTA Website says)
  by GP40MC 1116

StefanW wrote:I'm very curious... What would the crew of that trainset have felt when it happened?

IIRC if an air line breaks the whole train goes into emergency, but what if there's a derail and the line doesn't separate?

-- Stefan
You are LUCKY if a air line breaks and sets you into emergency, then you know something is wrong. I am sure their are different feelings and sounds that happen. I know for sure, up at Seashore its very distinctive when you loose the pole, by the lights going off in the car, as well as at times the odd sounds that happens, so its a key to us that something isn't right :-)
  by Veristek

Will service be impacted tomorrow? I'm going to be using Old Colony line to get into Boston tomorrow.
  by StevieC48

GP40MC 1116 wrote:
StefanW wrote:I'm very curious... What would the crew of that trainset have felt when it happened?

-- Stefan
You are LUCKY if a air line breaks and sets you into emergency, then you know something is wrong. I am sure their are different feelings and sounds that happen. I know for sure, up at Seashore its very distinctive when you loose the pole, by the lights going off in the car, as well as at times the odd sounds that happens, so its a key to us that something isn't right :-)
Yea thats if you loose the pole but if you derail up there you should feel it come off.