Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by kyleg

I'm driving up from Philly to pick someone up at JFK this Wednesday and I'd like to spend a few hours in Manhattan beforehand. I want to be at JFK around 5:30/6 so I figured I could maximize my time by taking the LIRR back to a station near JFK, rather than driving there from Manhattan. I know some stations require permits for parking and some have a very small number of paid or free spaces. I just want to know what would be the best station in the JFK area to go to around 10/11 am where I could find a parking space.
  by Morisot

You can park at JFK Long Term lot for $18 for the first 24 hours and take the AirTrain at JFK. I think it is free around JFK/long term lot and connects with the subway (not free) and to the LIRR at Jamacia (not free.) From what I read, it SEEMS you can always get a parking spot in the long term lot!

Search "AirTrain MTA" for details.

PS - The High Line (elevated tracks converted to a park) in Manhattan is free and enjoyable to walk to sight-see and people-watch along the West side
  by kyleg

I rather just take the LIRR, even if it's a bit of a drive from JFK. I just don't want to spend an hour driving from station to station to find an available parking space. If I parked at the airport and took the AirTrain, that alone would cost me $28 and not even get me out of Queens.
  by Lirr168

kyleg wrote:I rather just take the LIRR, even if it's a bit of a drive from JFK. I just don't want to spend an hour driving from station to station to find an available parking space. If I parked at the airport and took the AirTrain, that alone would cost me $28 and not even get me out of Queens.
Then your best bet is probably Laurelton. It's the closest station that might have a parking spot.
  by kyleg

Lirr168 wrote:Then your best bet is probably Laurelton. It's the closest station that might have a parking spot.
Laurelton looked like the best bet to me, but I wanted to post here to get a better opinion. Just to be safe, I was thinking of hitting up each station on the Atlantic Branch past Jamaica, starting with Locust Manor towards Valley Stream. I just don't want to waste time looking for a space. How much is parking at those stations? And is there on-street parking available if necessary?