Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by KLCS

Because the Comet and Shoreliner cars are related somewhat in design, with several interior/exterior differences, which Comet class could correspond to each Shoreliner class? What are the technical differences between shoreliners and Comets? Are the Comets used on West of Hudson service physically the same as ones used for NJT?

by DutchRailnut

only difference is in the name and seats used.
Shoreliner 1 = Comet 2
Shoreliner 2 = Comet 3
Shoreliner 3 = Comet 4
  by nick11a

KLCS wrote:Because the Comet and Shoreliner cars are related somewhat in design, with several interior/exterior differences, which Comet class could correspond to each Shoreliner class? What are the technical differences between shoreliners and Comets? Are the Comets used on West of Hudson service physically the same as ones used for NJT?
Not being completely familiar with the Shorliner Classes, here we go.

The older shoreliners with no center doors are most related to the Comet II series. These coaches were built as high level-door coaches with a trap door for low level stops. The doors function the same ways as they do on this series of shorliners as they do on the Comet IIs.

Then the newer shorliners with center doors are most related to the Comet IIIs and IVs. While the Comet IIIs and IVs have "long doors," these shorliners do not. And the doors do not function the same way as the Comet IIIs and IVs in this case. You have seperate buttons for the end and center doors while on NJT, the Comet IIIs and IVs (and Vs) don't have this, but rather have controls for opening "high level or low level." Without getting to much into this, basically, if one opens the doors forward "high" on a train, any door with a trap down will open (under normal conditions). If both end door traps on that side of a coach are down, the center door will open as well.

Also, some of the newer Shorliners (EDIT: the Shorliner IIIs) don't have a door on the engineer's side of the cab but rather just a window. This setup is similar to the Comet IVs.

And the Comet Vs used for west of Hudson are of the exact same design as NJT. The shorliners that were here (but no longer are) for West of Hudson service were similar and were compatible to the Comet IIs. In fact, MN's west of Hudson equipment was known as Comet IIs with a postfix of "S" or "B" or whatever to differentiate the kind of car (Comet IIS- Shorliner, Comet IIB etc.) For more info on this, visit Mike Steinberg's http://www.hobokenterminal.com

Also, Metro North's Comet II equipment was also ran on occasion with NJT's Comet Is as they were compatible.

by 4 Express

DutchRailnut wrote:only difference is in the name and seats used.
Shoreliner 1 = Comet 2
Shoreliner 2 = Comet 3
Shoreliner 3 = Comet 4
The Shoreliner 2 looks like the Comet III? Can you please explain to me on how you got that solution.

by nick11a

4 Express wrote:
Shoreliner 1 = Comet 2
Shoreliner 2 = Comet 3
Shoreliner 3 = Comet 4
The Shoreliner 2 looks like the Comet III? Can you please explain to me on how you got that solution.
The Shorliner 2 cab cars have a door next to the engineer- just like the Comet IIIs.

It is just that MN's Shorliner 2s and 3s don't have long doors like NJT's Comet IIIs and IVs and that the interior cosmetics are different. But other than these differences and others, they were all spawned off the same design board.

by Ken S.

Shoreliner 1 = Comet 2
Shoreliner 2 = Comet 3
Shoreliner 3 = Comet 4
My theories;
Shoreliner I-6100 Series: Comet II
Shoreliner II-6200 (ex-6220-6221) Series: Comet II
Shoreliner III-6300 Series with Engineer's side door and manual int doors: Comet III
Shoreliner IV-6300 Series without Engineer's side door and power int doors, 6220-6221, & 6400 Series: Comet IV
Shoreliner V-6700 Series: West-of-Hudson POS cars (Comet V)

by 4 Express

I was thinking the same as Ken S.

by KLCS

My theories;
Shoreliner III-6300 Series with Engineer's side door and manual int doors: Comet III
Shoreliner IV-6300 Series without Engineer's side door and power int doors, 6220-6221, & 6400 Series: Comet IV
The manual and power door systems, how do they work? Do they use bypass options for manual operation? Can end doors be open while the train is in motion like on NJT? There really isn't too many low-boarding stations on MN.

by Ken S.

KLCS wrote:
My theories;
The manual and power door systems, how do they work? Do they use bypass options for manual operation? Can end doors be open while the train is in motion like on NJT? There really isn't too many low-boarding stations on MN.
I meant the doors betwen the vestibule and the passenger compartment. On the S3's, it's the same as the S1's and S2's. On the S4's, there is a button in the middle of the door to open it. On the S5's/C5's, the button is located next to the door (when it works, these cars were made by ALSCUM/ALMOST/ALSCAM). The 6700's are the only MN cars with long doors.

by nick11a

KLCS wrote:
My theories;
All the exterior doors in the shorliners are powered doors. When he says manual int. doors, he means the vestibule doors leading from the interior seating area of the coach to the vestibule.

And to answer your question, yes, I believe the non-long door (east of Hudson) Shoreliners are aloud to run with doors open whenever they are approaching or leaving a low level stop such as Merit 7 or whatever it is called on the Danbury Line. Trains with long doors (such as the Comet Vs) are not allowed to run with doors open ordinarily. It can be done though by bypassing the motor of the door and having the safeties off.
  by KLCS

I'm sorry if I'm being annoying with these questions, but I have one more question?

Can shoreliners (I,II,II,IV) operate with each other?

by DutchRailnut

yes all are running mixed with each other.